Complaint to Nursing Home

HelenB

May 29, 2004
Leeds
Some of you may remember my post in July about the fact that I was not informed by the nursing home that my mother's health had seriously deteriorated - even though the GP had asked staff to contact the next of kin urgently. Despite the fact that the staff had three days between the GP visit and my mother actually passing away, I was not actually contacted until 2 hours after her death! Obviously, at the time, I was in a state of shock, but it helped me to discuss it on Talking Point and I received a lot of kind words and advice.

As a result of the advice, I did complain to the Area Manager responsible for the home. This resulted in an investigation being undertaken and serious action taken, including the dismissal of a member of staff. Following the investigation, the Area Manager met with me to report back her findings. This also gave me the opportunity to discuss my grievances re: the management of the home generally and these, I feel, have been taken seriously. Areas of identified weakness in the home have been addressed and recommendations for change + an action plan (with timescales) have been drawn up and submitted to the CSCI. Whilst, of course, none of this will ever compensate for not being able to share my mother's final hours with her, I do think that my complaint will hopefully prevent this ever happening again to someone else. I'm now glad I did make the effort to complain (despite the circumstances) and I urge anyone else with grievances about the parent's home to do the same. Alzheimer's is such a terrible disease and if we do not fight for good care, who will?

Thanks again to all those people who offered me such wonderful support when I needed it most.

Regards
Helen

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
Hello Helen

I am so glad you had a good response to your fully justified complaint against the home.

As you say you can never get back those precious last hours but at least now you have helped ensure that others will be spared the anguish and heartache you have had to endure.

Good for you for having the patience and energy to pursue it.

Kathleen
xx

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Helen
glad that your complaint was dealt with in a proper manner,with a satisfactory outcome.
Keep posting you may in the future be able to advise some who is in a situation similar to that which you experienced.

Best wishes
Norman

daughter

Mar 16, 2005
Hi Helen,

I remember being incensed by your posting in July and am pleased to hear that you found the courage and strength to make the complaint, which has undoubtedly made some positive changes at the home.

All the best,

Kriss

May 20, 2004
Shropshire
I'm sure I can say on behalf of everyone here, a big "Thank You" for finding the strength to follow this through.

Kriss

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew Fargher