Recommended thread Compassionate Communication with the Memory Impaired

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Grannie G, Jan 24, 2011.

1. maryw

maryw Registered User

Nov 16, 2008
    Surrey
    Yup, that's exactly what it did for me :)

2. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    What a lovely post Mary. It can`t get much better than that. :)

3. Thank you so much for posting this, Sylvia. This is a lot of what I needed. Sadly I think I've broken about half of the rules, at one time or another. :(

4. Tolkny

Tolkny Registered User

Feb 16, 2009
    East of England
  5. jenniferpa

jenniferpa Volunteer Moderator

Jun 27, 2006
  6. Not yet - must have another shot at it, having got the permission! After various to-and-fro communications, she published a page I wrote about AZ in general (as counterblast to the silly jokey piece the previous month) in which I gave contact info for AS and the local (general) carers group. Last time I spoke to my contact at the carers group she said they'd had someone ring to get support who'd read about it in our village parish mag, so I felt very pleased about that! Pam

7. Jacqui 99

Jacqui 99 Registered User

Apr 21, 2011
    Kendal
    Thank you for postimg this. This is my first morning of knowing my mum has alzheimers and i recognise a lot of the behaviour already...thanks soooo much for setting me on the road to trying to avoid the Don'ts.
    jacqui x

8. Jo1958

Jo1958 Registered User

Mar 31, 2010
    Yorkshire
    Hi, I'm just boosting this to the top of the list again, it is such a useful thread, thank you Grannie G.

9. lin1

lin1 Registered User

Jan 14, 2010
    Female
    East Kent
    I agree . Ive been recommending this thread quite a lot to new members
    As well as Sylvia's thread .

10. Sox

Sox Registered User

Mar 12, 2011
    Thank you Sylvia - I saw it a while ago and thought how useful it would be but didn't have time to print it, then of course forgot!! It answers some questions but of course not all, however those usually come from TP members anyway. So have now printed it off and will give copies to family, friends etc. Many thanks. Take care. Sox

11. Sue J

Sue J Registered User

Dec 9, 2009
    Is this the sort of thing that can be 'stickied'? As it really is so useful

Sue

12. britcare4

britcare4 Registered User

Jul 5, 2011
    This is so useful, I have it pinned to my notice-board. I see we were doing far too many Don'ts. thanks for giving me the link.

13. Coletta

Coletta Registered User

Jan 6, 2009
    Souh East Essex
    Thank you Grannie G, I hadnt seen it either, and really good to read. A lot of it comes naturally but see there is room for improvement!!!

Coletta

14. JenniferW

JenniferW Registered User

Jul 17, 2011
    Shropshire
    This is VERY helpful - bit interestingly, didn't come up at all when I was searching the forums for advice on how to handle repetitions! This is just the sort of thing I was looking for.

15. Sue J

Sue J Registered User

Dec 9, 2009
    Sorry to be repeptitive;) but I did ask if this thread can be stickied a while back, - don't know who's responsible to sticky something or if anyone can but I wouldn't know how to do it.

Perhaps one of the moderators can.

Thanks
    Sue

16. lin1

lin1 Registered User

Jan 14, 2010
    Female
    East Kent
    I agree with you, this thread should be added to the stickies,I frequently give the link to this thread when I spot someone may be helped by it or needs to see a way how to, but like most people I dont read every thread or post

SO please would one of you Lovely mods make this a sticky
    please please PLEASE

17. jenniferpa

jenniferpa Volunteer Moderator

Jun 27, 2006
    Unfortunately, we have discovered that having a lot of stickies makes it very difficult for new users to find their way around the forum (the useability testing we conducted highlighted this problem). That's why we have progressively reduced the number of stickies in favour of providing the links in a single stickied thread.

Specifically this thread Really Useful Resources has a number of different, well, really useful resources :))) contained within it, including this one.

18. susana53

susana53 Registered User

I printed this a while back and have it in my activity folder. It is useful to have available to show to staff members in the care homes, especially the younger ones.

19. bulmer

bulmer Registered User

Jul 7, 2011
    #160 bulmer, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
    Thankyou I have printed this it is very beautiful:):):):)