Compassionate Communication with the Memory Impaired

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
Hello again @Grahamstown

Does your friend have family or a neighbour who can help her?
Yes she has a very supportive family who are taking good care of her although she can manage well living on her own. I don’t think they consider anything to do with dementia because they didn’t with their father. They just keep a close eye on her and her main problem is the memory loss otherwise you would hardly realise she has anything wrong. She functions well otherwise as far as one can tell. I guess seeing her once a week with worsening memory and obvious behavioural tics such as repetition of the same thing over and over, forgetting notable events, brings it home to me. Internet is an obvious area for difficulties to become obvious and the trouble is she forgets that I have suggested that she doesn’t start the conversation. My problem is how to deal with it and the fact that I have to do so means that something is wrong and that is upsetting. I shall have to be very careful and aware now to avoid doing the wrong thing.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
Another chat today and it went much better although the combination of seemingly perfectly well together with extremely poor memory was challenging. Tried to keep the guidelines in place and mainly succeeded. It’s just so hard to avoid rational discussion though. I used a mutual reminiscence and old photos to enable her to have something relevant to say. And her long term memory was good enough for our lively conversation.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Another chat today and it went much better although the combination of seemingly perfectly well together with extremely poor memory was challenging. Tried to keep the guidelines in place and mainly succeeded. It’s just so hard to avoid rational discussion though. I used a mutual reminiscence and old photos to enable her to have something relevant to say. And her long term memory was good enough for our lively conversation.
That is so good to read @Grahamstown. Yes the guidelines are hard to follow but they can help. Reminiscence is such a good way to have a meaningful conversation with our loved ones.