• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can be found in our area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

You can directly access this area >here<.

Companion

SMacGregor

Feb 11, 2021
Can anyone point me in the right direction in trying to find a companion for my 81-year-old mother. She has carers but they are very expensive and we are paying £28 an hour for them to do shopping and companionship. Obviously, we will still have them for personal care but she could really do with a more cost-effective companion some of the time. To go to shops, chat and maybe go for short walks. She has cancer thats in remission at the moment and mild dementia. Has anyone advertised privately and employed independently? Unfortunately I do not live near by - my brother lives in the house with her but does not fulfill companionship needs.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Age concern offer the service ! ( but no idea what the new Covid service consists of)
You can put your postcode in on their web site.

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
We have a couple of companies in our area that offer "personal assistants". They check them etc. and you can select someone to match your mum's interests and requirements. I think they charge about £17/hr. Age UK is a similar charge, but I'm not sure that they offer this service in all areas. I believe Alzheimers do something called side-by-side (?), but 2 years on we're still waiting for that! Google "personal assistant for dementia" - that should set you on the right lines.
Would she consider going to a club, when these things are eventually up and running again? Mum went to an over 65's lunch club - £10 for a cooked lunch, entertainment and 5hrs of company. The local authority website should have something under old age services.

None the Wiser

Feb 3, 2020
There are a few LA’s that have a register of people that they have vetted. It’s caller ‘Support with Confidence’. You should be able to find out if yours does on the LA website. You pay the companion directly. They charge different rates from about £15 an hour.

SMacGregor

Feb 11, 2021
There are a few LA’s that have a register of people that they have vetted. It’s caller ‘Support with Confidence’. You should be able to find out if yours does on the LA website. You pay the companion directly. They charge different rates from about £15 an hour.
THank you will have a look x

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
You could try the doctors too. I got the number of a lady in the next village who is self employed and does companionship and will take people out, help feed etc, etc.