companion to sit and talk to my mum who has AD........


Registered User
Jan 8, 2007
My mother is in a care home suffering from AD............ I have been for a long while looking for a companion for my mum.. Just been told that i can have a companion who can come into the home ( at my expense ).
Any advice on where i can find a lady who who be willing to sit and chat with my mum, rub her back, hands and feet........ Any thing she wants really. Where on the web site would i start. I live in the Cardiff South Wales area.


Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Hello welshflower,
Could you approach the volunteer movement who support Hospices. I have no idea how you go about this, but I have a friend who does voluntary work in her local Hospice, who would probably respond to this kind of plea. Any payment, could go to the charity.
I hope you will be able to find someone. Sylvia x


Registered User
Mar 7, 2004
You could try looking in the periodicals such as: The People's Friend, or My Lady.

These may give you pointers on where else to go. Just a thought.


Registered User
Nov 28, 2005
Help the Aged provide this sort of service in some areas. It may be worth a phone call; they should be in the local phone book or listed in the library.

I hope you find someone soon. Best wishes Beckyjan


Registered User
Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Welshflower

Just thought that Crossroads may be able to help, if you have them in your area. They mainly operate under contract to SS, but I think you can hire them privately too.

Worth checking?


Registered User
Aug 20, 2006
I think that you will find that MIND also provide "companion" services. This can range for someone to come and stay for an afternoon to provide company and someone to talk to, but they may also be able to take the patient on outings if this is possible. The MIND "companions" are specially trained to deal with people who have dementia.

We looked into this, as the occupational therpaist suggested it. She said at the time that it would be free rather than a paid for service (although we would have to meet things like any travel costs).

Howeverm when the process started, the first thing we got was a financial assessment form from the local authority which wanted to know everything about Mum and Dad's income, assets etc, and which said we could be charged a big slice of what they deemed to be "disposable income". So we declined to take it any further as the MIND person seemed to be treated as a local authority carer service....!

The occupational therapist was very surprised by this, she had never heard of such a thing happening, and said she would look into it, but we never heard anything more after that.

So, the service exists, but be aware of possible pitfalls.


Registered User
Jan 8, 2007
Thank You All So Much

Well what a fantastic responce from ALL OF YOU Just ...........want to say thank you , what a fantastic responce, this talking point web site is the best thing ever.
I will take ALL of your advice on board.
Will let you know how i get on !!!
Thank you all once again.

xxxxxxxxx Hugs xxxxxxxxxxx


Registered User
Jan 5, 2007
Hi Welshflower

Glad to see you made it on here, big congrat's to you.

Try posting a notice on a bulletin board if the Home has one.

Ask some of the staff who work at the Home, if they know any body.

Good luck with your search, hope you find the right person.