Community Psychiatric Nurse

Lilyanna

Nov 8, 2021
My Partner has been diagnosed with early Alzheimers and is awaiting a visit from a Community Psychiatric Nurse to start him on Donepezil. We were told by the Psychiatrist that it would be a few weeks. As we had been waiting 6 weeks I phoned to be told that 6 weeks was nothing at all but not given an indication of how long it would be. Would be interested to hear the experience of others. We live central belt of Scotland.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Lilyanna

Scotland has different procedures to England and provision is always changing with the times.

My husband was referred to a Community Psychiatric Nurse following a disturbing episode but hadn`t seen one previously.
Once one was allocated they were invaluable.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
It must be hard to be waiting such a long time.

It was a long time ago now but my husband had input from a CPN after his diagnosis. This wasn’t for prescription of Donepezil though it was for support for his depression. This was initially done by the consultant psychiatrist then the GP. I’m also in Scotland but as I said this was some time ago and I know things changed.

It might help to chat things through with someone at the Alzheimer Scotland Helpline. They might also be able to point you in the direction of some support -

Hours Away

Jul 16, 2021
In early 2020 it took 3 months from the Consultant Psychiatrist's visit, pre lockdown, to the CPN doing the first home visit, in the midst of the first lockdown, and prescribing Donepezil and folic acid via the GP. The CPN returned fortnightly to start with and then monthly for followup checks for about 6 months afterwards.

Lilyanna

Nov 8, 2021
Just received a letter today advising referral to Dementia Support Link Worker, however, yet again as their caseload is full we are placed on another waiting list. Has anyone in Scotland diagnosed with early Alzheimers actually managed to be seen by a Community Psychiatric Nurse and commenced medication or been assigned a Dementia Support Link Worker? Or is the reality being placed on waiting lists while symptoms worsen and the diagnosis of 'early' is no longer relevant?

Last edited: