communication

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Magarita

Thanks for asking.

I visited Mum to-day and she was sleeping most of the time, or rather, her eyes were closed, but she was still trying to get her clothes of, ocassionally geting up and "walking".

She is now very shaky and has to hold on to things for support.

The staff say she wasn't in bed all night, despite Temazepam and they are now going to try another drug. Zopiclone??

Her Parkinson like symptoms, I am sure are the side effects of haleperidol.The stooped posture and tremors only started after the drug was prescibed, but of course, the professionals won't admit this.

I think, although I can't be sure, that the move has been detrimental, but hopefully she will settle.

The new consultant is saying it is early days, give it time. Mum weighed 9 and 1/2 stone in October, to-day she weighed 41.5 kilos. I haven't worked out the conversion yet, but it is a lot of weight loss

Thanks again
love
Alfjess

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Elaine

I phoned to-night and was told the dietician would be called in on Monday.

But as the consultant told me in hospital last week "Mum doesn't have long" maybe there is nothing that can be done.

Thanks
Love
Alfjess

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Alfjess,

I have been reading all our posts and getting more and more worried. I am so sorry for you. Someone suggested she had lost 3 stone since November, that doesn't look good. The consultant says "Mum doesn't have long", it doesn't look hopeful for your mum. I am so sorry. I don't know what to say except that we are all concerned about you.

Much love

Margaret.

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Magaret

Thanks for your concern.

Mum is not sleeping at night, the temazepam is not working.

She is sleeping in the day and won't eat, but to-night the staff tell me they had fed her dinner and a pudding.

Tomorrow I am going to ask, why can't they feed her in the night, even if I have to take food in.

Thanks again
Alfjess

nickyd

Oct 20, 2007
warwickshire
Dear Alfjess,
I just wanted you to know I am thinking of you. Am so sorry of what you're going through, I truly understand.
Sending you Lots of Love, Hugs and strength,
Take care, Love

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Thanks Nicky and everyone else for thinking of Mum and I.

I have been told once again I can't bring food in (cross contamination) but I can come in at meal times to try to feed her.

She is very weak, can hardly get out of the chair, but if she manages to stand then immediately sits again.

The last 3 visits, most of the time she has been sleeping. Even in sleep, she is still trying to get her clothes of, but does not have the strength or energy to manage it now.

What is this compulsion in removing her clothes? She was a very prudish person in her right mind. I wish I could figure, WHY?? Then maybe I could help her find some peace.

Thanks everyone for listening to me
Alfjess

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Dear alfjess

This bloody cross-contamination is a new term, they are all scared to death of MRSI or similar. Bringing in a flask of Chicken Soup, straight to your mum's room, isn't going to do any harm at all. See what they think about that. Or could they save a portion of Shepherds Pie from tea time, and you could microwave it when you come in. Foods such as yogurts are self-contained, can't be any cross-contamination there. Three yogurts are better than nothing. Or a tin of rice pudding. Actually anything in a tin cannot be classed as cross-contaminating surely?

Seems they are using the rules to prevent any flexibility on your part.

It doesn't really matter right now what your mum eats, I know you would like it to be a balanced diet, but forget that, just get some calories into her. Would they forbid a box of chocolates or a packet of biscuits dunked in her tea? Never mind the manners!

I assume she is on the high calorie drinks? Number 1 aim.

I don't know why they can't feed her in the night, If I were on the ward, I would be doing it, but I am not a nurse.

I also don't know why she has the need to take her clothes off, somebody on this site must have some knowledge of that, I don't know whether she just feels she is uncomfortable in her clothes, or whether it is a sexual thing, whatever it must be distressing for you - and her.

Stay strong, and don't give in yet.

Love

Margaret

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Magaret

Sorry for not answering sooner, but have had one of those weeks. Late Thursday,the house got cold, we had run out of oil for the heating. We had a delivery of 500 LTRS 18th Dec and thought it would last until end of FEB, but it didn't. Anyway oil was delivered Monday and we are warm again

My tumble dryer gave up the ghost on Friday.
Sunday, the computer moniter broke and to-day I lost my car keys, still haven't found them, but eventually found the spare, which made me miss Dad's GP appointment.

All of the suggestions you have made to feed Mum are good and when I visit tomorrow I will take some yogurts to start with.

You know, I didn't even think of a flask. Thanks.

They are waiting for the dietician to order some high calory drinks.

When I visited to-day she still had her eyes closed. Asleep? I don't know, but if so, still very restless and agitated.

Thanks for your help
Love
Alfjess

Doreen99

Jan 12, 2008
Sheffield
Thanks Nicky and everyone else for thinking of Mum and I.

I have been told once again I can't bring food in (cross contamination) but I can come in at meal times to try to feed her.

She is very weak, can hardly get out of the chair, but if she manages to stand then immediately sits again.

The last 3 visits, most of the time she has been sleeping. Even in sleep, she is still trying to get her clothes of, but does not have the strength or energy to manage it now.

What is this compulsion in removing her clothes? She was a very prudish person in her right mind. I wish I could figure, WHY?? Then maybe I could help her find some peace.

Thanks everyone for listening to me
Alfjess
My bold

Why is there no consistency across the board with this sort of thing? My ma-in-law is in hospital and being difficult about her food - the staff are more than happy for me to take her in a couple of cooked chicken drumsticks when I visit, with no talk of dratted "cross contamination". And I usually sit and eat a sandwich with her, so that she has some company. So that's 2 lots of "outside" food turning up, with no problems.

And I take her in grapes and bananas and bottled water! Maybe you should ask them to give you a list of foods that you are allowed to take in.

I hope you manage to get her to eat some yoghurts, etc, I'm sure it will do her good.

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Doreen
No luck with the yogurts, because she was sleeping again. Although no one objected when I got them out and tried to feed her.

That is a good idea of asking what food is acceptable.

TP is wonderful at thinking for you, when sometimes you can't see the woods for the trees

Thanks
Love
Alfjess