Communication Aids for Dementia - Final Year Project

designstudent

Dec 25, 2015
Hi everyone,

I'm a final year design student at the University of Dundee and am focusing on dementia for my honours project. After speaking with someone whose husband suffers from Alzheimer's, I have decided to focus on the issue of communication between a person living with dementia and their carers and/or loved ones.

I was hoping to get your opinions on whether exploring this area could be useful, what your experiences are with communicating the person's needs are and whether any of you use or have used communication aids?

Thank you for your help,

Nicola

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi designstudent
I notice that you have been a member of TP since December last - so I'm hoping that means you have been reading as many threads as you can for your background research and to begin to understand the difficulties surrounding the lives of those with dementia and their carers
I'm not sure what are your areas of expertise or your qualifications - or your motivations for choosing this topic - maybe you have some experience of caring
I'm really not sure what you have in mind - but that seems to be the first issue - reading posts here, you may be able to identify a need and suit your project to it, rather than coming with such an open issue
Maybe go back to the person you spoke with for a more in depth discussion - maybe visit some carers cafes in your area - maybe speak to staff in care homes - have a look at company websites which provide aids for those with disabilities and their carers
Have you come across this thread
http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?30801-Compassionate-Communication-with-the-Memory-Impaired
I'm sorry if I sound exasperated or obstructive - I think it's great that degree level students are interested and want to get involved in supporting PWDs and carers - a few have posted here maybe you've come across their threads
For me - I haven't a clue what might help my dad and I communicate as he's losing the ability to express himself, that part of his brain is 'being attacked'
What seems to be most needed is better communication for carers about how to access support - that's what many initial posts on TP are concerned with
However I may have seemed in this post, I really do wish you well and hope you come across something you can produce which will be of help

designstudent

Dec 25, 2015
Hi designstudent
I notice that you have been a member of TP since December last - so I'm hoping that means you have been reading as many threads as you can for your background research and to begin to understand the difficulties surrounding the lives of those with dementia and their carers
I'm not sure what are your areas of expertise or your qualifications - or your motivations for choosing this topic - maybe you have some experience of caring
I'm really not sure what you have in mind - but that seems to be the first issue - reading posts here, you may be able to identify a need and suit your project to it, rather than coming with such an open issue
Maybe go back to the person you spoke with for a more in depth discussion - maybe visit some carers cafes in your area - maybe speak to staff in care homes - have a look at company websites which provide aids for those with disabilities and their carers
Have you come across this thread

I'm sorry if I sound exasperated or obstructive - I think it's great that degree level students are interested and want to get involved in supporting PWDs and carers - a few have posted here maybe you've come across their threads
For me - I haven't a clue what might help my dad and I communicate as he's losing the ability to express himself, that part of his brain is 'being attacked'
What seems to be most needed is better communication for carers about how to access support - that's what many initial posts on TP are concerned with
However I may have seemed in this post, I really do wish you well and hope you come across something you can produce which will be of help

Hi Shedrech,

I apologise if my post was too vague. I study Digital Interaction Design and have been researching dementia through books, websites and forums such as this one since September of last year. I also attended a Smart Care Convention just last week discussing the future of dementia care and what part technology plays in this. I feel I should explain my post was only vague in order to receive a wider amount of responses for my research before advancing in this area. The aim of my project is, at the very least, to raise awareness of dementia amongst the design community and the public as I feel technology has the potential to make a real difference to dementia care in the future. I don't currently possess the knowledge or experience to design something truly beneficial but this is something I hope to build upon after I graduate.

The reason I am looking into communication (specifically the communication of needs such as eating or going to the toilet) is that this is what my contact struggled with most. There are a number of aids available such as Care Books which contain illustrations and symbols which represent activities of daily living and I was wondering if any members of TP have used these or would consider them. I see now I should have mentioned this in my original post and I sincerely apologise for not doing so.

Thank you very much for your response, it has really helped with the direction of my project and you have given me a lot of things to consider.

designstudent

Dec 25, 2015
Have you been in touch with the Dundee branch of Alzheimer Scotland?

There's a drop in cafe in Broughty Ferry on the second and last Tuesdays of the month - there's one tomorrow - St Aiden's Centre. There's a weekly drop in cafe on Monday mornings in the Morgan Street Centre.

Hi Izzy, this is great information. I am meeting with someone from Alzheimer Scotland tomorrow. I am unfortunately attending university today but will try and go to the drop in cafe on Monday.

Thank you for your help!