Coming to the sad farewell

Jul 6, 2015
Hi, I've cared for my mum for the past eight years with alzhimers and have watched her sad decline. Mum was blue lighted to A&E 5 weeks ago with aspirated pneumonia and in the throws of a major heart attack. We were told she would not last the day!!! Well they didn't know the strength of my mum!
She has "recovered" from the pneumonia & HA but is now bed ridden,unable to speak,asleep 99% of the time,unable to swallow & we have been told her death is imminent. Today whilst sitting with her she was asleep but suddenly her body started to jerk her eye lids fluttered open and all you could see was mainly the whites but then I could see her eyes rolling about. When I asked a nurse she said she was just dreaming!! Is this right as it looked more of a seizure to me. Are seizures common at this stage of the disease?

flower1

Apr 12, 2013
Hi, I've cared for my mum for the past eight years with alzhimers and have watched her sad decline. Mum was blue lighted to A&E 5 weeks ago with aspirated pneumonia and in the throws of a major heart attack. We were told she would not last the day!!! Well they didn't know the strength of my mum!
She has "recovered" from the pneumonia & HA but is now bed ridden,unable to speak,asleep 99% of the time,unable to swallow & we have been told her death is imminent. Today whilst sitting with her she was asleep but suddenly her body started to jerk her eye lids fluttered open and all you could see was mainly the whites but then I could see her eyes rolling about. When I asked a nurse she said she was just dreaming!! Is this right as it looked more of a seizure to me. Are seizures common at this stage of the disease?

Hi 1928, thank you for your response on my other post about my mum who sounds in the same heart breaking situation of this cruel disease. I was told today that they have started mum on thickened fluids just a little and that there is also a potential of fit/seizure risk at this stage too due to the fragile brain and as the body starts to slowly shut down. We also were told that mum was too ill to fight the aspiration pneumonia and would not last the day. I find it all so hard emotionally and to get my head round. Mum will not go back to hospital again and no more antibiotics or oxygen. N.home also have other meds in n place ready these were sent back from hospital for mum. I pray for both our mums that the suffering does not go on for too long and they both pass away peacefully. Take care xx

Last edited:

Jul 6, 2015
Thank you Flower. Both our mums deserve the peace and dignity. Thinking of you all
x

Hi 1928, thank you for your response on my other post about my mum who sounds in the same heart breaking situation of this cruel disease. I was told today that they have started mum on thickened fluids just a little and that there is also a potential of fit/seizure risk at this stage too due to the fragile brain and as the body starts to slowly shut down. We also were told that mum was too ill to fight the aspiration pneumonia and would not last the day. I find it all so hard emotionally and to get my head round. Mum will not go back to hospital again and no more antibiotics or oxygen. N.home also have other meds in n place ready these were sent back from hospital for mum. I pray for both our mums that the suffering does not go on for too long and they both pass away peacefully. Take care xx

yorkshirerosie

Jul 14, 2010
cheshire
My mum had 2 seizures in May and was put onto some medication to prevent further. Since then she has lost mobility, the ability to open her mouth , eat or drink. She takes small sips from thicken fluid.
The GP has been out to her and taken her off the respiridone in an attempt to reduce the ridgedness ( if that's such a word) however that seems to have brought back the hallucinations and thoughts that a man is trying to kill her. I would much rather her have a crooked neck than be distressed.
I don't know how or even if I am able to help Mum but I wish that this stage does not go on for much longer, it's really not fair on her.
I hope that you and yours get the release for this horrible disease x

Ionna

Jan 19, 2014
Surrey
To all that have post a comment so far, I am feeling your sorrow. Mum is also in the final stages. I thought she wouldn't make through the night last Thursday, but here we are a week later and she is still with us. Like some have mentioned she too stopped drinking about 10 days ago and has been asleep pretty much since then.
When she has been awake (if you can call it that) it has been due to pain - so rather than keep giving her injections they put her on a syringe driver. Since Monday the dosage has been sufficient to keep her comfortable. At this stage that really is the best you can hope for. Sleep really is a welcome relief from the pain and suffering. The hope my mum passes quietly, but the waiting is very strange and surreal. When there are long pauses in her breathing everything goes quiet, the whole world seems to be holding its breathe and you wait for her to exhale, but I know that soon she won't.
You are all in my thoughts and prayers at this difficult time and I hope you find the strength needed to continue onwards.
xx