Coming to the end of our journey

Best74

Nov 6, 2014
After 10 years, my Dad is coming to the end of his journey with Alzheimer’s.
He is now being nursed in bed, only having sips of water and hasnt eaten for a few days. We had a phone call yesterday to say his breathing had changed but he remains comfortable . I guess no one knows when the end will be but it’s heartbreaking. We have stayed for 2 days by his side and do not want to leave him but I have a young family and being the only child, I’m finding things very difficult . I’m not really asking for advice , just wanted to explain how I feel . Thank you for reading x

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
Just wanted to say, don't worry about 'having to be there for the final moments' My mother had 19 emergencies in those last 18 months and each time I sat 'in vigil', yet when it came to that last emergency I 'missed' it by a couple of minutes.

I read up on ensuring one has said everything one needed to say, including the 5 important things to say to someone who is dying
The Five Things to Say:
THANK YOU…
I LOVE YOU…
I’LL NEVER FORGET…
I’M SORRY…
I FORGIVE YOU… and therefore when it came to it I knew that there was nothing left unsaid and nothing I wished I'd had time to say.

Then just get on with your own life as you know your LO would want.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so sorry to read your news @Best74.

It's the hardest of times. Thinking of you and wishing you strength. Also wishing your dad peace.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I stayed with mum for 2 days, but I had to go and check on OH and mum passed away within 10 mins of me leaving. One of the carers said that she thought that mum had been waiting for me to go before passing.

What matters is that you were there for him in his life. Whether you are actually there at the final second is of less importance.

Primula1

Mar 20, 2018
He is now being nursed in bed, only having sips of water and hasnt eaten for a few days. We had a phone call yesterday to say his breathing had changed but he remains comfortable . I guess no one knows when the end will be but it’s heartbreaking. We have stayed for 2 days by his side and do not want to leave him but I have a young family and being the only child, I’m finding things very difficult . I’m not really asking for advice , just wanted to explain how I feel . Thank you for reading x

I am in the same position. Mom, 86, is in hospital after having a fall and pneumonia and has deteriorated really quickly is now not eating etc. I am also an only child and feel guilty leaving her to go home but she doesn’t seem to know I am there and I feel I can only sit there so long without feeling even more depressed and stressed. So I go home to try and rest a bit before the next day.

worried2

Aug 1, 2010
It’s such a difficult time, but please don’t feel guilty. You can’t physically be there 24/7, you need to look after yourself too. Thinking of you and wishing you strength to cope with the days and weeks ahead. Xx

BIWO

Sep 1, 2016
Bedfordshire
I feel for you - my Mum was in hospital towards the end - the night before she died I am sure they knew EOL was coming - they double checked phone numbers and wanted to know my mobile was permanently on, For sure nobody slept that night in my house and we got the call to go to the hospital at 6am. You can't possibly be there 24X7 - we were on on the end of 10 day hospital vigil - so could have died at any time. My Mums breathing (night before my Mum died - it became more laboured) - I called my brothers out - as thought the end was coming and the three of us had a reasonable night around the bed remembering and chatting over the past. A bit surreal really but it was the only way we could deal with it. I wish you well in these difficult times.

Hazara8

Apr 6, 2015
This is always challenging. A culmination of all that has gone before, termed 'end stage Alzheimer's', which leaves you very open to every emotion under the sun, bearing down upon you all at the same time. My circumstances were different. A son, living with his mother, as carer and guardian, after the father died. Twelve years. Then, Alzheimer's and all that the disease demands of you. Finally, 'end stage'. One month, in a side room in hospital. Me sleeping alongside my mother in a reclining 'chair' . One month in which she refused both food and drink. One month, every single day, tending to her, comforting her during 'procedures'. In all that time, a profound sense of worth, for all the right reasons. No uncomfortable thoughts nor regrets, no 'gaps' in the cycle of care. The long and at times, exceedingly demanding role of Carer, now drawing to its close. So yes, one understands just why you wished to explain how you feel. And you have a young family (I did not) which compounds things, as they need you. And you are an 'only child', which also engenders very special feelings in respect of your childhood and upbringing with a mother and father. My mother - an only child - often explained just what that meant to her, having no siblings. Her father was a great 'friend' besides being a wonderful father. The one overriding factor in all of this and it remains an absolute truth, is that the moments in a life which are joyous, the times spent with a parent when you laugh or at times cry, when you feel their love and affection enveloping you when you are unhappy, or sickly, that very special 'bond' which is unique between you and which stays with you always - none of that can ever die. Nothing can change it, nothing can threaten it. Ever. So, at this time and with all its seemingly unbearable elements which surround you ,try and let that act as a buttress against the overwhelming actuality of things now. With warmest wishes.