coming off Aricept

cheeky1

Apr 3, 2013
scotland
Dads been on Aricept 10mg for over a year now.as he is having on going diahorea the decision has been made to take him off for a couple of weeks then try him on patches.dad is in modrate to late stage az and I was wondering if anyone could tell me their experiences good or bad about coming off Aricept so I have an idea what to expect!!:eek:

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
My dad decided that he wasn't going to take his tablets any more. He was old and didn't care, he said. He was quite proud. I'm not sure how long he hadn't been taking his aricept or blood pressure tablets but his Alzheimer's deteriorated rapidly. I noticed this as he was telling me he wasn't taking his tablets and put 2 and 2 together. This isn't scientific at all but my opinion. As I said I have no idea how long he was not taking them either. He went back on the aricept and the progression slowed down massively. He has been diagnose and on aricept for 11 years now. I would say he was mid dementia now. Aricept has definitely helped him.
You are going to be doing all this with medical supervision so I can't see many problems occurring that won't be sorted out. Good luck.

stevew

Oct 30, 2010
CORNWAL
Dads been on Aricept 10mg for over a year now.as he is having on going diahorea the decision has been made to take him off for a couple of weeks then try him on patches.dad is in modrate to late stage az and I was wondering if anyone could tell me their experiences good or bad about coming off Aricept so I have an idea what to expect!!:eek:

Hi, my MIL 82, was on Aricept about two years with frequent assessment. At the end of this time it was decided this medications was of no further benefit and stopped. The D continues to decline and there were no obvious noticeable effects of stoppage. Steve