Coming home for Christmas

Arod61

Jul 19, 2019
My spouse has been in memory care center for about 5 weeks. Is it too soon to bring him back home for 2-3 hours on Christmas Day? I’m concerned he will not go back to the center willingly. Suggestions wanted.
Arod61

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
If you feel that there is a possibility that your partner will not return to the care center willingly then I'd suggest that you don't take him home as the situation will be stressful for you both. He hasn't been in the care center long so needs time to settle. It's difficult but you need to consider the reasons for taking him home for a few hours - is it for his benefit or is it because the family feel that he should be at home? I don't know the position in USA memory care centers but in the UK care homes celebrate Christmas well and families are welcome to join in, so perhaps that would be the better option if family wish to see him on Christmas day.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I would never take the risk.

As much as I would have liked to have my husband at home for a few hours @Arod61 it would have been devastating if it upset him when it was time to return.

In all my years on Dementia Talking Point there has only been one person I knew who took her husband home for visits.