Comfort in Sharing

Nurseneil

Nov 4, 2016
Hello ,everyone,
It's now 10.30 pm and am writing for the first time on the forum. Caring for my husband who was diagnosed three years ago with vascular dementia is something that we'd never envisaged.( It can't happen to us !)
He also has late stage diabetes,little mobility,a pacemaker and double incontinence.
I was coping ( I thought !) until a week ago when the enormity of the situation and his deteriorating abilities hit me with such a force they I wanted just to curl up and sleep forever.....
Feeling more able to cope this week,and aware that this must happen to so many others out there.
Savouring the precious hour before bed for a night of interrupted sleep.Glad to meet you all.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Hello ,everyone,
It's now 10.30 pm and am writing for the first time on the forum. Caring for my husband who was diagnosed three years ago with vascular dementia is something that we'd never envisaged.( It can't happen to us !)
He also has late stage diabetes,little mobility,a pacemaker and double incontinence.
I was coping ( I thought !) until a week ago when the enormity of the situation and his deteriorating abilities hit me with such a force they I wanted just to curl up and sleep forever.....
Feeling more able to cope this week,and aware that this must happen to so many others out there.
Savouring the precious hour before bed for a night of interrupted sleep.Glad to meet you all.

Welcome, my mum went to bed at 9.50 and like you, enjoying just an hour or two in my own company. These days I find myself staying up later just to make the most of it. By this time my mum has been up a few times, but so far has stayed in bed and I am hoping not to see her before 6am tomorrow morning, but who knows??? Take care, hope you will continue to post.

jennypie

Jan 5, 2014
North yorkshire
Me time and the rest!

I also relish time to myself and sometimes end up staying up till midnight just having this time on my own my husband has vascular dementia and Alzheimer's and has just started to be incontinent over the last few days I'm a recently retired nurse and feel like I'm back at work but it's bad enough so I've no idea how people manage incontinence when they have never dealt with it before

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello Nurseneil
welcome to TP
it's a comfortable place to settle in and say anything that's on your mind - lots of folk here to offer support and information and to share your experiences with
I hope your night wasn't too disturbed
keep posting
best wishes

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Nursenell, welcome to TP. I hope you find as much help and comfort as I have from knowing there are people experiencing the same things willing to give advice, support, sympathy etc. Keep posting. xx

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Nurseneil

Nov 4, 2016
There seem to be so many of us now.

Thank you, Tin , jennypie ,shedrech,jinx.Will be thinking of you and your lovely responses.
Got one ( of many !) Medical appointments tomorrow, and car has has been written off..
OH refusing to go ,as he won' t have a taxi ......! will need firm resolve,since he will delay getting dressed too.As long as he can stand with support I can manage the chronic diahorrhea.but showering is not easy.( Luckily I too nursed many years ago.). Trying to keep ones chin up can be hard on so many occasions,but counting ones blessings ( and counting to ten ! !) Seem to help.Apart from constant complaints and repetition OH to be in the relatively early stages so I try not to visualise what inevitably lies ahead.....Will keep up the forum comments and bless you all...in this together, eh?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
A belated welcome from me too.

What a shame about the car - that's all you need.

Keep posting I know you'll find the forum helpful. Take care and good luck with the appointments.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
My dad has been in a nursing home for 2.5 years but reading your post reminded me so much of the lonely nights when I looked after dad and I too would look at posts on the forum in the early hours of the morning when dad had got out of bed and dressed again for the umpteenth time! Even if I didn't post it gave me comfort to know others were in a similar struggle with their pwd and hoping they would settle....soon! Sending you a virtual hug to all of you that you get a good night's sleep tonight