coloures

storm

Aug 10, 2004
notts
I have just read a artical in the guardian about research done in america with patients suffering severe A/D who had lost weight through what was thought loss of interest in food. It was found that serving food and drink in really bright coloured cups and plates eg red blue but really floresent increased there intake of food dramaticly. just a thought. storm

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Storm,

It's an interesting concept. I would have assumed the reverse to be true, in that the brightly coloured plates would disguise the colour of the food.

Having said that, when we first moved into the bungalow, I bought a set of crockery in bright blue and yellow [to match the kitchen], since my parents had a set of very old brown and white stuff that was cracked and a bit crummy. I rather thought that I'd overdone it in terms of colour......

I've put my parents increased intake and interest in food down to Carole's cooking skills, rather than the colour of the plates upon which it is served. Perhaps a combination of both?

Jude

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
PS: I have read some information about the possibilities of painting steps and strips in front of doors in black to prevent AD sufferers from wandering, since they tend to view them as holes and therefore avoid them altogether.

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi all, yes I heard that too. We already had blue,yellow and white crockery so can't say anything there. What I will say was, I always made sure that Mum had colours on her plate, e.g. orange carrots, green peas, etc. etc. and that I made it attractive to eat. You know, like tempting a sick kid, smiley face etc.? It worked for us! With regard to black strips etc. I did that, and even tried a yellow sheet across the front door to match the walls and hide the door but it never fooled Mum! We resorted to a baby gate top and bottom of stairs to shut off danger areas, little monkey soon learn't to undo it although some carer's that came in couldn't1 So, we got a combination padlock. ...... Thats still baffling my hubby!! Love, She. XX

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Sheila and Jude
I think the black strips/patches do work.I notice when there are any of those drains like grids Peg steps carefully over them.
Also careful about any steps in dark colours
Norman

storm

Aug 10, 2004
notts
Hi all, They say its nothing to do with whats on the plate its the fact that they cant distinguuish a plate from the table,food from the plate and liquid from its container. the striking colurs provide a frame to help the patients eat more by increasing the contrast between food, drink and the crockery.By the way white doesnt work.
The strange thing is mum wentto church lunch club one week and came back with a bright pink beaker in her bag,i asked her why she had brougt it home and she said because she liked it! i f she is going to pinch things she could do better than a plastic beaker.STORM

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Storm,

I wonder if this extends to colours of table cloths as well? Seems like I've done the right thing for the wrong reason - only because I don't like brown and white crockery and favour colours.

Are you planning on buying your Mother a larger handbag? If so, do invest in a couple of antique show videos too. It may help pay the care fees later......!

Jude

storm

Aug 10, 2004
notts
Hi jude, great idea about the handbag but i cant think of anything expensive that comes in floresant colours unless i pushed her round a jewellers and aimed towards the emarelds. STORM