colostomy advice

madala

Aug 15, 2006
south wales
Hello all,
I,ve been a member for a couple of years ,this is my 1st time asking a question.My Kath has had dementia for a few year which is controlled by Ebixa she also has a colosomy bag which i have to attend to which is no problem .She as now started to remove it herself on occasions usually in the night which as you can imagine can be messy .My question has any one any ideas to stop her doing this any suggestions would be gratefully recieved ,sorry its late at night but can only talk when she is in bed THANK YOU MADALA :)

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Welcome Madala
I cannot offer advice on your problem. I am sure other's will come along and have advice.
Keep posting
Barb & Ron

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Oh dear madala, that is a big problem.

In addition to the mess, I imagine your wife might be leaving herself open to infection.

I have no experience of colostomy bags but am sure the only person able to advise you properly would be your wife`s doctor.
If you find it difficult to talk when your wife is around I can only suggest you write to the doctor and explain the situation.

Love xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Madala

I think you should certainly talk to your GP. I think the risk of infection is serious.

The only thing I can think of is to use the net pants that are used to keep pads in place. They're quite snug, but stretchy, and Kath might find it difficult to get into them. The continence nurse can supply them, if you think they would work.

Failing that, what about a pair of tights, perhaps with the bottoms cut off?

Maybe silly suggestions, but all I can think of at the moment.

Good luck,

citybythesea

Mar 23, 2008
coast of texas
HI Madala,

Mom did not have a colostomy , but her mother did have one for 20 years. She was and is still considered one of the longest survivors, in the US, of colon cancer. At night instead of wearing the bag she would wear a thick 4 X 4 square of cotton material. Back then they were about 8 thickness' of cotton material and were made out of actual cotton material. She would put on a pair of "panties" that were body hugging to hold it in place. She did not have AD but did live to be 76 and said that the bags were not comfortable when trying to sleep. She also explained that for her she did not need the bag, but did need the little pad as it 'kept the stuff in until the bag when on or she did her "irrigation" ' ...not trying to be off color...it's just hard to talk of this without being colorful.

I hope you find your answer.

HUGS

Nancy

madala

Aug 15, 2006
south wales
Hi ALL
Thank you for your ideas will try them ,have arranged a meeting with the Stomma nurse to discuss the problem ,unfortunaterly Kath does not realise what she is doing .
Thank you all
Best wishes MADALA

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JL513