Colonoscopy

NanLorac

May 14, 2012
Scotland
My husbands bowel screening test came back showing blood, so I did the second test and it's the same. Now they want him to have a colonoscopy. They could have done the pre assessment over the phone but I wanted an appointment so they can decide if he is fit for this procedure. I have an appointment on Thursday and plan to tell him once he is dressed on Thursday morning. I have been taking him to the toilet since the beginning of September and managed to do the test without him knowing.

He has been leaning to the right since 11th September and they think it's been a vascular event. Still waiting for a hospital appointment with the stroke department. I have read that leaning could be constipation but since his bowel movements are very soft, I now wonder if this is related to the blood in the samples.

He is 65 and has had Early Onset Alzheimer's for 4yrs. It is progressing quite quickly but he is out at different groups 5 days a week and I like to think that he is living well with Alzheimer's at the moment and worry what impact this is going to make on him if they find something. I am hoping for polyps that can be easily removed. Wonder now if I should have done the test?

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Of course you were right to do the test. If it is something simple like polyps or haemorrhoids then you can deal with that. If it is bowel cancer then a bigger decision will have to be made in conjunction with the doctors. Pretending it is not happening is not an option.

My mother survived 15 years after a bowel cancer operation.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
What a worry for you Carol, on top of everything else. I hope it is something that can be treated easily.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I don't see how you could have avoided the test Carol. If you had you would have always doubted whether or not you'd made the right decision. By agreeing to the test, whatever the outcome you have ensured your husband gets the best treatment possible.

Whichever way it goes you can't avoid the worry. I do hope it's nothing sinister.

NanLorac

May 14, 2012
Scotland
I saw the surgeon in June and he told me I had to have a colonoscopy. I finally got the all clear at the start of October. Then a reminder came in about my husbands bowel screening. I had put the test aside at the start of September and had forgotten about it because it came in when he had started leaning to the right and could not feed himself using his right hand so was more concerned if finding out if he had a stroke.

It's been a difficult few months Sylvia.

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
NanLorac

My husbands bowel screening test came back showing blood, so I did the second test and it's the same. Now they want him to have a colonoscopy. They could have done the pre assessment over the phone but I wanted an appointment so they can decide if he is fit for this procedure. I have an appointment on Thursday and plan to tell him once he is dressed on Thursday morning. I have been taking him to the toilet since the beginning of September and managed to do the test without him knowing.

He has been leaning to the right since 11th September and they think it's been a vascular event. Still waiting for a hospital appointment with the stroke department. I have read that leaning could be constipation but since his bowel movements are very soft, I now wonder if this is related to the blood in the samples.

He is 65 and has had Early Onset Alzheimer's for 4yrs. It is progressing quite quickly but he is out at different groups 5 days a week and I like to think that he is living well with Alzheimer's at the moment and worry what impact this is going to make on him if they find something. I am hoping for polyps that can be easily removed. Wonder now if I should have done the test?

Yes of course it was the right decision. I hope all goes well. There could be a simple answer. I hope so.x

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil

If you are in doubt of a stroke, explain it to doctor. She must know all picture, just not his bowels.

I and my mother have had colonoscopy. Mom was on undiagnosed early stage. It was just on day with a big discomfort on my case. Same for mom's however as I already knew it I helped her to cope.

(I presume doctor is she)

JigJog

Nov 6, 2013
Yes, it was the right decision.

My husband is 64 and he was diagnosed 2 years ago. He was also bleeding when he went to the toilet and he needed to have a colonoscopy.

I felt just the same as you, worried and concerned whether I had done the right thing and all the possible outcomes.

The team who carried out his colonoscopy were wonderful with him. Before we came home, they explained there and then, the cause of the bleeding.

He had received radiotherapy for prostate cancer three years before. This had damaged his bowel and as it had healed, it healed with the blood vessels nearer the surface. There was no problem with this, it just meant some were burst when he passed a motion, hence the blood in his stools. I had never even thought of this.

They removed a polyp at the same time and took a good look at the health of his bowel. They said that they could see no problems and felt that he would not develop bowel cancer in the next seven years. We were not to worry about doing the bowel screening again as it would just bring up a positive result. There was no need to go through any more tests for his bowel. That was the end of it and peace of mind too.

I know the preparation for the colonoscopy can be hard work, but by doing it, you will learn the cause of the bleeding. From there you can take the appropriate action and ensure that he has the best possible treatment, if needed.

Hoping for the best possible outcome for you both. Hang on in there. Be strong.

JJX

NanLorac

May 14, 2012
Scotland
Thanks BR _ ANA I will give a full history when we see the nurse on Thursday.

JJ That's great that your husband has the all clear now.

Cx

NanLorac

May 14, 2012
Scotland
The hospital phoned first thing this morning and cancelled the appointment with the nurse. The nurse called me at home at our appointment time and got my husbands medical history updated. She said that once they have results of the blood test to check his kidney funtion, we will get an appointment for the surgeons clinic to discuss the next step. The blood test is being done next Friday.

Luckily they called before I had told him this morning.:)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita1968