Cold showers

ruthw66

Oct 19, 2020
My mum was diagnosed with vascular dementia earlier this year. As she is in the early stages we are managing fairly well right now but one thing I have noticed is that she doesn't use her shower. When I last visited I found that she had mistaken the temperature control for the on/off control so was enduring a cold shower and I suspect this had been going on for a while hence her reluctance.
Just wondering if there is a device which can be installed so that the water temperature cannot be altered.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Unlikely I suspect. The mixer unit needs to be adjustable because the incoming water temperature is not constant, the cold feed will vary according to season and weather, the hot could vary depending on the system for heating water. You could try a notice with simple instructions.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
When OH reached that stage of forgetting how the controls worked I had to switch the shower on and check the temperature before he got in

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019

I think ( you would need to double check) the shower above uses one lever to control heat and one for off/on.

This gives her the chance to use it more easily.

you could laminate signs saying off/on and hot/cold and out them on the wall above the correct handles.

Or if that not working then put a box over the temperature control lever and gaffer tape it so that only Harry Houdini could get inside.

I love gaffer tape, we have home made boxes covering the plugs of devices. Gaffer tape is covering the power lights of all the appliances !

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Welcome to the forum @ruthw66 If your mum is unable to understand the shower controls then there is a risk that the water may not just get too cold, it may get too hot. There may also be other factors that are preventing your mum from showering so as @canary has suggested, it would be worth you having a go at helping your mum to have a shower to see whether it is just the temperature that is putting her off. As has already been posted, it is very difficult to ensure that shower temperature is kept at the same temperature all of the time as the incoming water temperature will not be constant. You may find this factsheet helpful as it explains some of the reasons why someone with dementia will not wash, and also some useful tips about helping someone to bathe/shower: