Cold hands

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
My dad has noticed that whenever my mam gets really agitated which leads to aggression, that her hands become icy cold, as though there is something wrong with her circulation.

Has anyone else experienced this, and does it mean anything?

oneloopylady

Oct 16, 2011
I am not sure about the agitation, but my dad has constant cold hands since the onset of dementia. I put it down to poor circulation but never know if it is the dementia or the strokes, as they both came at the same time. I will be interested, like you, to hear from others on the subject, and also, is there anything we can do to make them warm up?

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
My friend has this too, it happened today, triggered I think by a highly anxious state because of the boilerman coming and her fear about it, exacerbating all her symptoms, she was very confused today but is absolutely fine tonight. Don't know what she'd say about me!;) but I've had a better day - two days of coconut oil!

It is circulatory and that like all other functions is governed from the brain.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Thank you Sue and Oneloopylady for sharing your experiences.

I was wondering whether it was the poor circulation that was causing the agitation and aggression.

Just a thought that has crossed both mine and my dad's minds.

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
my mum has recently been seen by the GP with exactly this problem, admittedly it was in the very cold weather but she was indoors with the heating on full blast so shouldn't have had such cold hands. The GP found nothing wrong with anything, so I knitted her some fingerless mittens to wear all day which dad says seem to have helped a bit.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Thanks witchpig. Dad himself actually does have Raynard's (I'm not sure how to spell it either!), and I don't think this is the same. This happens to mam inside the (very) warm house and prior to the agitation she is just as warm as usual.

It's just something dad has noticed, probably means nothing, but we were wondering if it could possibly be significant.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Thanks sistermillicent, that's worth a try! My mam does like to wear gloves even indoors, and fingerless ones might be better.

However, it's not really that I'm worried about her hands being cold per se, but wondering whether the cold hands are a sign of something that then leads to the agitation and aggression.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I think it is relevant CG my friend's house was very warm and we went into the garden and because of my own difficulties with hindsight I made her more anxious because she didn't think she could hear the bell - if the brain is then struggling already the blood flow is directed to the point of trouble, i.e. to the brain cells and away from the extremities causing the cold hands. I didn't handle it well for her but I went as I didn't want her to be alone. I am relieved I could speak to her tonight and she was fine. I should understand more because of my own difficulties, I do but I've lost so much function I just don't process like I used to.:(:eek:

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Thanks Sue, I wonder if that's what's happening with my mam, then? It certainly sounds logical.

What I was wondering is when the cold hands start. I will ask dad. If her hands become cold just prior to the agitation manifesting itself, maybe dad could use this as a warning and do something to pre-empt the agitation. Hmmm, just thought of this really, I will mention it to him, plus your thoights on the blood flow to the brain, and see what he says.

Thanks! Hope you are feeling better in these last few days, you do sound a lot better xxx

Miss Merlot

Oct 15, 2012
If you are in a high state of agitation, your body will go into flight or fight mode and divert blood to your main organs and away from extremities - maybe that's it...?

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Reynaud's syndrome means that a person has an extreme, and harmful, form of the normal reaction whereby the body withdraws blood from the extremeties in order to help keep the vital organs warm. This is a natural function and essentially means that the body treats the extremeties as expendible when it gets too cold and will sacrifice them in favour of organs like the heart, lungs, liver and brain. Warm blood is withdrawn to prevent it cooling down and kept nearer the centre instead. This is why your core temperature is much more important than the condition of your hands. If your core temperature drops then this is hypothermia which can quickly kill.

People with Reynaud's have an extreme over-reaction to even small drops in temperature, their bodies react as though exposed to severe and prolonged cold and withdraw blood supply from the hands and feet.

This is why a Reynaud's attack shows as fingers which instantly turn a blue-white colour and become very cold as the blood supply in withdrawn. The main danger is that if this is prolonged then the tissues can become starved and start to die, they can then turn gangrenous - in exactly the same way that frostbite works.

As said, withdrawal of blood can also be a response to emotion - anger or fear cause the body to go into "fight or flight mode" as adrenalin floods out to prepare the body to flee or do battle at maximum efficiency. To hep, blood is withdrawn to the vital organs so that the heart can pump faster and stronger, breathing increases to provide extra oxygen, to give extra power to the muscles.

This is why episodes of Reynaud's can also be triggered by emotional states.

When someone becomes very angry or frightened they tend to feel cold and clammy, espescially afterwords. The body ignores and over-rides these feelings temporarily as they are a distraction in a situation of potential danger.

I would suspect that it is the aggressive or fearful moods that is triggering "flight or fight" and that your mum is having an exagerrated response, leaving her hands icy cold.

It would be a good idea to have this checked by a doctor, since it could be Reynauld's, or indicate a problem with circulation.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Thanks CG, I have had a good few days, today an indoors day. Hope your Mum is settling at home again, each change takes takes a while to settle again. xx