Cognitive Stimulation Therapy

Chrystle

Feb 15, 2018
Hi Everyone, (still newish member, please forgive any solecisms!) - My husband aged 70 now, was diagnosed Alzheimer's a year ago, mild to mod. He has only just got a place on the NHS provided CST course beginning Sept, 14 weeks (if he 'passes' assessment) 1.5 hours per week.
I've read some older threads, but would be grateful for insights from anyone currently experiencing this. I did a brief 'Living Well' for Carers, and the professionals running the course were quite negative about the efficacy of CST, or any initiative aimed at improving memory or learning for dementia sufferers. I am determined that my husband should do the course, for social contact if nothing else, but I want both of us to have realistic expectations. Depending on his experience he may go on to the CST events run by our local Alz Soc so any insights anyone has on these courses too and how they compare, would be very gratefully received
Also - we were both disappointed he has had to wait a year to go on the course - what is experience in other areas (we live in South East), as this hasn't felt soon enough for us - our initial hunger to get involved with these initiatives is wearing away!
Thank you everyone, and my best wishes to you

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi and welcome to TP. I’m sorry but I have no personal experience to help here. I’m sure though that we do have members who have experience of CST - I just can’t remember who. If I remember I’ll come back and tag them here.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hullo @Chrystle. I don't know anything about the course, and am a little sceptical of any idea of dementia being improved. However, memory cafes and sing for the brain or similar can help stimulate and bring pleasure to my OH who has dementia. So, as you say it can't hurt to go along for the contact. Would you go too and get a chance to meet other carers or would it be a short respite ?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Chrystle, I don't have experience of this therapy but recently I did an on-line university course where it was mentioned. Whilst the detail wasn't huge, it was said that the therapy has been evaluated as useful. The course said that if followed strictly it encouraged interaction, increased cognitive scores and could be as good as drugs in relation to the improvements and slowing of progression for a while.
I certainly got the impression that it was worth a go if made available. I suppose availability will depend on resources available in any particular place, much like anything else these days.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hi, my husband did do a course which was set up and lead by his CPN. It was good, he enjoyed going but not sure he gained from it. He enjoyed the time spent with others and the folder he produced showed me he had participated quite well and they had covered many subjects that obviously interested all those who attended.

Carers were invited to join them at the end of the course and we all had a buffet lunch together. So in my opinion a lot was gained socially, he had obviously enjoyed the different subjects they had covered and had participated well. Had he shown any improvement? Sadly no. The week after the course had finished I said to him what a shame you won’t be going to your meeting this week. He has no idea what I was talking about and the folder he had produced with all his work in he did not recognise.

So gained company and some stimulation at the time but no improvement to his memory at all.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Hi, my husband did do a course which was set up and lead by his CPN. It was good, he enjoyed going but not sure he gained from it. He enjoyed the time spent with others and the folder he produced showed me he had participated quite well and they had covered many subjects that obviously interested all those who attended.

Carers were invited to join them at the end of the course and we all had a buffet lunch together. So in my opinion a lot was gained socially, he had obviously enjoyed the different subjects they had covered and had participated well. Had he shown any improvement? Sadly no. The week after the course had finished I said to him what a shame you won’t be going to your meeting this week. He has no idea what I was talking about and the folder he had produced with all his work in he did not recognise.

So gained company and some stimulation at the time but no improvement to his memory at all.

That is exactly what I would expect @jaymor I can do things with my dad and really catch his interest at times but sadly he often has no recollection after the event. I think it is all very much in the moment so probably worth doing these things just for the enjoyment at the time but best not to expect any real progress.

Dad has lost the ability to do lots of things but can do them when I prompt him. I prompt him to eat his breakfast and dinner every day but left to his own devices he would not eat a meal of any kind. Strangely he always remembers to water his plants at least twice a day.

Abilities to do things seem to disappear in a very odd order and when they are gone, it seems impossible to get them back. I have accepted that now and just try to adapt to it by making changes. Sometimes it is possible to get round things and other times not.

Last edited:

Mudgee Joy

Dec 26, 2017
New South Wales Australia
There are no courses like that where we live but I have found over the past year that social events- where my husband with D enjoys himself - really does lift his mood and seem to really improve the day overall. Friendships can develop and a smiling friendly relationship seems to be the best medicine for my husband.