coconut oil

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Not sure if I put this somewhere else or not so apologies if posted elsewhere.... I found a company on ebay who sell medical supplies and I have bought some tubes (like ones you collect urine in) for putting CO in for mum when she goes to respite, all they have to do is put it in hot water, liquefy it take the top off and let mum drink it, simples (I hope) :)

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Perhaps other 'oldies' like me, without dementia, should try it? No guarantees of course, but I'm planning to continue as long as I feel like this.
Just be careful of the high level of triglycerides Hazel.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Good point, Saffie, thanks. My GP gives me the full range of tests every year, so I'll see if there is a problem at my next MOT. (Not till next March, unfortunately)

In the meantime, I've checked on the web, and found this:

What causes high triglycerides?

High triglycerides are usually caused by other conditions, such as:
Obesity.
Poorly controlled diabetes.
An underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism).
Kidney disease.
Regularly eating more calories than you burn.
Drinking a lot of alcohol.

The only one that applies to me is the underactive thyroid, and that's controlled by medication. I'm keeping an eye on the weight though, and if it goes up I may have to rethink. No problems so far.:)

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Regularly eating more calories than you burn.
That's mine!!!
I do have a CHD check every year though as my heart isn't that great so I am wary!
Do you have a blood test where your cholesterol and triglycerides are recorded as I do?
If so , I'd be interested in if they go up after taking the CO

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Mum had bloods done the other week and her cholesterol was 3.9 (sure that's what the Dr said, must have been as everything was within normal parameters), mind you she hadn't been taking the CO for long, she is due to get bloods rechecked at the end of the month so watch this space.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Do you have a blood test where your cholesterol and triglycerides are recorded as I do?
If so , I'd be interested in if they go up after taking the CO

I don't know Saffie, he only ever comments on the cholesterol, which is OK. I think if there was a problem with triglycerides the hospital would flag it up though.

I'll remember to ask next time,

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I think the triglycerides show up alongside the cholesterol although it's different as it's to do with fats rather than artery buildup The level doesn't have to be high even if the cholesterol is but I just wondered what the impact of the CO might be. I always ask for a printout of my blood test results so that I can keep an eye on things.

Carabosse - 3.9 is pretty healthy unless your mother is diabetic. My husband was just over 2 but having diabetes made the GP prescribe statins to lower it further.

Last edited:

dotfoxleics

Mar 14, 2013
Leicestershire England
Also, coconut oil does not undo damage already done by dementia. Mum has 'regained skills', but I believe those skills were never lost, just the MCT has fuelled her brain out of its starved state, and some things have clicked back in. Those who use it are using it to maintain the status quo, not as a cure, but to slow or hopefully stop the awful slide - at least this is why I use it.
I'm a little confused and am at the early stages of reading up about CO.

BE thinks it doesn't improve the condition but so many posters are talking about improvements or disappointment at lack of improvement. Why aren't posters satisfied if the status quo is maintained?

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I'm a little confused and am at the early stages of reading up about CO.

BE thinks it doesn't improve the condition but so many posters are talking about improvements or disappointment at lack of improvement. Why aren't posters satisfied if the status quo is maintained?

Because we still HOPE for something more.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I would be delighted to preserve the status quo in my Mum's case. I'm not HOPING for anything more.
I didn't mean to sound that preserving the status quo isn't good by any means. Anything that improves symptoms on a daily basis has got to be good. Probably because I stuggle to come to terms with my own symptoms. It has helped me but I struggle to ensure regular intake because of my symptoms.

dotfoxleics

Mar 14, 2013
Leicestershire England
I didn't mean to sound that preserving the status quo isn't good by any means. Anything that improves symptoms on a daily basis has got to be good. Probably because I stuggle to come to terms with my own symptoms. It has helped me but I struggle to ensure regular intake because of my symptoms.

It's interesting to hear that CO has helped you. I'm veering towards the opinion that if it doesn't do any harm then I might as well get my Mum to try it.

I don't do hope these days I just deal with what life dishes up.

Margaret938

I have been giving my husband CO + MCT oil now for 110 days (I know how long because I keep a daily journal and record his intake and his ups and downs.) I began by giving him a low dose and gradually increased it, I have had to decrease it now that he is in a Care Home, since they can't administer this without the GP's consent. I give him 4 tablespoons of the mixture mixed in a smoothie which I make up before my daily visits. He is much more aware of his surroundings now and enjoys observing the people around him, he always has a cheery smile and a twinkle in his eye. He engages so much better than he did before I started him on CO. I am aware that this is by no means a cure, but every little helps, to see him happy is enough for me. I am not expecting him to be able to read and write or even have long conversations, they are gone, but I am happy when we can still laugh together.
Dr Mary Newport is very helpful, I have her book "Alzheimer's Disease - What if there was a cure?" We regularly email each other and she has been an inspiration to me, her husband Steve has AD and has benefitted greatly from CO & MCT Oil, she has helped me a lot with George over the past few months.

Margaret

steffie60

Jan 22, 2013
Hampshire
I have just posted about the virgin coconut oil and my mother who has seemed to pick up since starting to take it, I mask it in cooking rather than give it to her straight. I tried it neat and was not impressed!

I do think though it has to be the pure form which is of course expensive. I shall continue to post as this could just be an up time in the dementia rather than the VCO.

steffie60

Jan 22, 2013
Hampshire
Having placed comment about anecdotal evidence and Coconut Oil regarding my mum and how good she seemed - over the weekend we have come back down to earth and all is again as it was before she went to my sister to give me some respite even though I have been keeping up the dosage of coconut oil It would seem that it was just a period of re-settlement and being unsure about where she was and where she should be that had made her be a little bit more lively than normal. With the coldness of this June she is getting back to the stage of just wanting to sleep again and it is not for the want of company or stimulation. Mum is to have a blood test on Wednesday which will include a test for Vitamin B which is also currently receiving quite a bit of media coverage. We shall see what happens.

dotfoxleics

Mar 14, 2013
Leicestershire England
Having placed comment about anecdotal evidence and Coconut Oil regarding my mum and how good she seemed - over the weekend we have come back down to earth and all is again as it was before she went to my sister to give me some respite even though I have been keeping up the dosage of coconut oil It would seem that it was just a period of re-settlement and being unsure about where she was and where she should be that had made her be a little bit more lively than normal. With the coldness of this June she is getting back to the stage of just wanting to sleep again and it is not for the want of company or stimulation. Mum is to have a blood test on Wednesday which will include a test for Vitamin B which is also currently receiving quite a bit of media coverage. We shall see what happens.

Thanks for the update.

Concerning vitamins, you might like to ask for your Mum's Vitamin D levels to be checked - there is some evidence that low levels affect memory. I persuaded my Mum's GP to have her Vitamin D levels checked and they were very low which resulted in tablets being prescribed - an injection is an alternative. I've got no idea (as usual) whether it has made any difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife