coconut oil

fin/36

May 12, 2013
n. ireland
Does anyone know anything about coconut oil and its affects on dementia I known it has to be pure can you get it in capsul from thanks.

KingB

May 8, 2011
Berkshire
Hi
I bought the following book recently, which has a lot to say about coconut oil : Stop Alzheimers Now.
The book was recommended on the thread "SAT FAT and COCONUT OIL" recently - and its definitely worth you taking a look at that thread. You can use the "search forums" at the top right of these pages to find other threads discussing coconut oil.

Not sure I would take the whole book to heart - but it has some interesting arguments about a scientific basis for coconut oil being of help with some dementias.
You can buy coconut oil in supermarkets - in Tesco and Waitrose you can find it in small jars. The oil is solid at room temperature but melts when warm. The recommendation is that you use only the organic virgin brands. It can be used in cooking and/or can be eaten from a spoon, or stirred into warm drinks.

The book states that the effects only last a few hours, so it needs to be taken regularly and consistently. Unfortunately that is not going to be feasible for mum and dad.
But based on what I have read it seems that it is a very healthy thing to be eating generally, so I have switched to using it for cooking and for spreading on buns or scones - and I am finding it is very tasty, and nice to cook with.

Its a very controversial subject - so you need to research what you can from books, internet etc and then make up your own mind whether to give it a go. I have heard people say that it has had a very good effect on their loved ones with dementia (a neighbour found that her husband was able to talk much more straight away) - but of course it could be coincidental improvements or wishful thinking.

Best wishes - and I hope that you find coconut oil benificial if you do decide to try it.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
I've just bought some; I got it online but you can get it in healthfood shops. It comes in a jar, is solid but goes liquid at higher temperatures. It can be used as a spread on toast with marmalade, added to a pudding, used for frying or added to a curry or stew. It is also good as a skin balm and has mildly antibiotic properties. I just thought I'd try adding it to my diet as I sometimes experience brain fog due to chronic fatigue syndrome which is an auto-immune condition.

fin/36

May 12, 2013
n. ireland
thanks

Thanks everyone think anything is worth a try will keep you posted on how it goes. Taking mum home tomorrow for the first time in 3 months looking forward to it but worried about taking her back tomorrow night wish me luck :)

beech mount

Sep 1, 2008
Manchester
May i just point out that in the countrys where this is produced there is NO standard for virgin or organic, in other words,anything goes.
John.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
From the label and website description of the coconut oil I have purchased:
"Xxxxx fair trade organic extra virgin coconut oil is cold pressed from fresh organic coconuts without any heat used during the production cycle. 100% Raw for all cooking, baking, coconut butter and dietary supplement for health. Several quality control tests used during the production cycle and again before shipping to Xxxxxx ensures the premium quality and freshness of our coconut oil."

John, wouldn't that contravene trading standards if sold in the UK with such claims, but untrue or unverifiable? :confused:

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Mum has just started day 2 of taking CO, I bought pure CO from our local Deli he does mail order if you can't get, not sure its organic or virgin it doesn't say but i'm sure it would work just as well.

tonyli

Jan 11, 2010
Cornwall England
Have searched the threads but can't find any specific thoughts on the latest wonder cure. Have had Ginna on two tea spoons of oil a day for a month now and can't see any change.
What are the forums thoughts on coconut oil?

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
Hi tonyli,

There is lots of information in the threads Saffie has pointed out. If you are really serious about this, I suggest you get hold of the book "Stop Alzheimers Now" by Bruce Fife. Then you will understand all the background, how to give it, what it does, the dosage, and so on. It will also explain all the controversy around saturated fats, cholesterol and so on, things you will want to understand if you give it to someone you care about.

I have had very positive experiences with Mum on coconut oil - though I started four years too late. I have the deepest regrets about that as I knew about it, but thought it hocus pocus. What could coconut oil do, I thought. Then I didn't know about medium chain triglicerides crossing the blood brain barrier, nor about it being a brain and body fuel of choice and other things. I was so intrigued to see MCTs are present in high quantity in human breast milk - and babyhood is a time of exponential brain growth.

My attention was caught at how CO has anti fungal, anti bacterial and anti viral properties. I observe how people with dementia are often struck very low by chest infections and urinary tract bugs. If you do get Fife's book, you will become aware of the risk of bacteria, viruses and fungi transferring to the brain..... with all sorts of hidden consequences. I have a fungal infection on a couple of toenails, am treating this with a vengence...... you should know that my mother has had discoloured, thick toenails all her married life (to my knowledge as the 3rd child). I am also testing the anti-fungal properties of CO on my own very dry feet, and taking photos. I am surprised at what is happening and now believe the 'dry skin' is not just dry skin but a slow fungal infection...... For the final results you will have to wait!

Regarding success stories, you will have to go elsewhere. A new forum has been created and most of the positive voices have migrated there. If you are genuinely interested, I can PM you details. It is a closed forum, so you have to join, you cannot browse.

Also, coconut oil does not undo damage already done by dementia. Mum has 'regained skills', but I believe those skills were never lost, just the MCT has fuelled her brain out of its starved state, and some things have clicked back in. Those who use it are using it to maintain the status quo, not as a cure, but to slow or hopefully stop the awful slide - at least this is why I use it.

Mum rediscovered the ability to write letters - coherent sentences, whereas she just wrote words and lists before. She can also read a book - the same pages a lot of the time, but at least she can read, which passes time and makes her feel good about her self. Also in the last month she is able to 'find' the loo and uses it without any mishaps - a great relief to me as the poo left everywhere was distressing to her and us.

So have a look at the treads, get Fife's book, and then you can make an informed decision to continue or not.

Wishing you and your wife well. BE

Last edited:

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
I have had my mum on CO for few weeks and have seen an improvement in her already, the first week I drew a clock face and asked her to put the numbers in she couldn't do it, one week later she put them all in except no.10 and 11 but she did say she couldn't put them in as she didn't leave room for them. I showed the pictures to mums CPN who was really surprised with how well mum has done in a matter of a few weeks.
The fact that mum likes the CO helps as I don't need to hide it in other foods, there are 2 or 3 other threads on the subject of CO.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Can you remind me C? Does your drink it straight and how much does she take each day?

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Hi Izzy, mum drinks it straight and has 1 desert spoonful after she has had breakfast and same after tea at night, was going to add another one somewhere in the day or might increase the breakfast/ tea ones.

tonyli

Jan 11, 2010
Cornwall England
Thanks for your input folks. Ginna is now 7 years into this awful illness and is delusional all day with long periods of sobbing and still 'wanting to go home'. I wonder if she is too far along for the c o to have any effect. I did do a fair bit of research before starting to use it and while I haven't read the book in question I did understand how it appeared to work and the possible unwanted consequences, cholesterol and all. Ginna has recently started to show an increase in her cholesterol levels ( before the c o) but the G P is not too bothered, as she is only just 60 and we can work on getting it down.
I think I would be interested in knowing how far along most sufferers were before starting to take it so I will do a bit more looking around on the forum.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi Izzy, mum drinks it straight and has 1 desert spoonful after she has had breakfast and same after tea at night, was going to add another one somewhere in the day or might increase the breakfast/ tea ones.

Thanks. Bill could take that. I did try it before but stopped as it seemed to upset his stomach and he had bad diahorrea. When we get back from holiday I might try it again.

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
CO and sleep time

I have just remembered something I read about giving CO at night. I think it is stimulating (the MCTs fire up the brain), and perhaps it is not wise to give it to people in the evening in case they get active and wakeful.

I give Mum her doses at breakfast and about 4 p.m. - in her cappucino. Never noticed wakefulness..... but now I come to think of it, she used to nod off really early, wanted to go to bed about 8 p.m. pre CO. Now she goes to bed when we do, more or less.

Izzy: I am sure I have posted here (or was it a PM) to someone who was having trouble with upset tummy, and how to make it more tolerable. Do you want me to look up the books again?

Also you could get a diagram of a clock face, or create your own MMSE, so you can pose the same questions in a week or so to determine what results you are getting.

Tonyli: Mum is now at stage 6. But she was stable for a long while, and some bad news in January knocked the stuffing out of her, and she started to plummet. I got desperate enough to try anything, which is why I stumbled on CO. Remember CO won't return what has already gone, it merely revs up the bits that are left.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Not sure what stage mum is at, she doesn't seem to fit into any one stage of the stages listed. I would say she is on the edge of early/ moderate Alzheimer's but it depends on the day, some days she is better than others and you wouldn't think she had much wrong with her.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
BE I am fairly sure I have seen your post re tummy upsets. I will look it up when we get back from Italy.

You can easily download the whole MMSE test. I used to make Bill practice it before memory clinic appointments! I'm past that now!

I would say Bill is stage six but it's taken 12 years to get here.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I'm still taking CO daily, and I'm buzzing with energy, and feeling very positive.

Friends put it down to the effects of my wonderful holiday in Italy, but I've been back a month now, and still feel great.

Perhaps other 'oldies' like me, without dementia, should try it? No guarantees of course, but I'm planning to continue as long as I feel like this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba