Clutching hand

Corinnam

Jan 8, 2021
My client has dementia and his hand is restricting so his pinky digs into his hand and rubs real bad now he has a bad sore on it i am new to this and because of covid we cant take him to the Drs. so much what can i do

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
For the benefit of others, I had to look this up, "pinky" means little finger, not a component of male genitalia!

Of course you can consult your GP. Most GPs will currently start with a phone call, and will call you in for an examination of they think necessary. Give your surgery a call!

millalm

Oct 9, 2019
Until you can get an appointment a simple way to stop any more pressure is to either roll up a washcloth or a pair of socks and put it into their hand, curling the fingers and thumb around them. My Dad had this problem after a stroke and now my Mum is having it with dementia. Botox injections are the treatment of choice here in Canada, it can be painful to get the shots but the botox relaxes the muscles that are causing the contracture.

Hope you can get an appointment soon!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Until you can get an appointment a simple way to stop any more pressure is to either roll up a washcloth or a pair of socks and put it into their hand, curling the fingers and thumb around them.
I was going to suggest the same thing

PS - I have always known the little finger as the "pinky finger". Is this a regional thing?

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
I was going to suggest the same thing

PS - I have always known the little finger as the "pinky finger". Is this a regional thing?
Possibly, I had did not understand the word and I have lived in the north and in the south. A quick online search solved the riddle.