Clothes!

Jane1

Mar 3, 2007
Leicestershire
Whilst it is sometimes rather amusing, at times, is my dad putting 2 sets of items of clothing on common? He has 2 shirts, 2 pairs of pants, sometimes 3 socks on 1 foot. He's always been a smart shirt and tie man, real gent, you know. Luckily we only sent him into the home with 1 tie!
We regularly ask the staff about the presence of his dirty washing as his linen basket is 'packed up' with all his other items from his room. I think he thinks he's going home soon. It breaks my heart just a little more every time i see him.......

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hi Jane

Not heard of this one before, my mum puts on layers of clothes, but that's because she says she cold, although the NH is like a sauna.

At least your dad knows where the laundry basket is, and actually puts stuff in there, mum's layers virtually have to be surgically removed for washing:eek:

I expect someone will be along shortly who may have heard of this one.

Its a difficult journey isn't it, easier said than done I know, but try and keep your spirits up.

Love
Cate

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Hi Jane .... know what you mean about things sometimes being amusing (on a superficial level at least) - which at another point in time can be dreadfully distressing ...... had it reported back to me that at mum's Day Centre yesterday she had 'lost' her coat .... and had been quite distressed about it - only she hadn't lost it ... transpired later another 'attendee' had 'borrowed' mum's and was wearing mum's under her own .... :eek:

Love, Karen, x

Maziekss

Jun 24, 2007
Boston, Ma.
My twin with alz

So glad I found this site. My twin punched the caregiver and her hubby claims he can take care of her at home alone. I being in the Hospital profession am saying to myself no you will have to get another caregiver but his mind is it is his wife and he will do it until he can do it any longer. This leaves the family sadden because I am afraid they will both go down together any advice? What are some of the meds for alz

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Mazie,

Welcome to TP. I`m glad you found this site too, it`s a lifesaver for most of us.

I can appreciate the special sadness of a twin with Alzheimers. One of my twin cousins died from Leukaemia, and it was awful.

I don`t think you can do anything to help your Brother-in-law change his mind, until he is ready to change it himself, and ask for help.

We all have different levels of loyalty and stamina, and although an objective viewpoint might be the better, your BIL wants to care for his wife as long as possible, and From my point of view, it is understandable.

You will get more information about the meds for Alzheimers, from those who have had benefit from them. They did not agree with my husband.

Take care, and keep posting.

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Hello Jane, a carer I know, her hubby does the same thing but when it is bedtime he puts more items on top never PJ'S and in the morning all clothes come off and another two sets go on and the cycle gets repeated, at least she gets to wash what needs washing. My own experience has been inappropriate clothing for the weather conditions and as far as dirty washing goes that's real dangerous ground, nothing ever is dirty,it is just the pattern on the material.:eek: Best Wishes, Taffy.

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
When my mother's sister stayed with her she said she'd never seen anyone change clothes so often in one day, (and she'd worked in old people's homes, but there they were generally just dressed in the morning and undressed in the evening). Partly I think my mother was trying out different aspects of her personality. And yes, getting things washed was a battle, she thought I washed her things much too often.

j.j

Jan 8, 2007
hi jane1
we also experience this with our mam she would quite often turn up at my house with two pairs of trousers on and when i took her for her flu jab the nurse had to fight her way through 4 jumpers to give her the needle. mam is in a home now where she is helped and prompted to dress in the morning but there are quite a few times when i take her out and find she has her pyjamas under her clothes, or last week i found she had six pairs of underwear on which couldnt of been very comfortable.

Jane1

Mar 3, 2007
Leicestershire
Found a stash of dirty washing today in various drawers and wardrobes so sent it to the laundry woman at the home, she won't know what's hit her!! Yes this is a cover on an 'amusing note' for my way of dealing with dad's illness. Today he was terrible and it got so bad i felt my presence was doing more harm than good and i had to walk away and leave him. Never going to be easy but i suppose you just have to do whatever you think is right at the time.
Thanks for listening x

Gill W

Jan 31, 2007
Co. Durham
The only doubling up nad tripling of clothes we've come across so far is with Gran's underwear.

I went with her to the bathroom a few weeks ago to get her undressed for her bath, to discover she had on a pair of knickers next to her skin, then an incontinence pad, then a pair of knickers, then another pad!

I did comment to her that she had the pad on the wrong side of her knickers, but she just looked at me as if to say "And?......"

I don't suppose there will be a way to get through to her that it's unnecessary, but if I ever find one, I'll let you know!

Gill
xx

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
Jane1 said:
Whilst it is sometimes rather amusing, at times, is my dad putting 2 sets of items of clothing on common? .

yes, i think so. my dad never seemed to know when to stop dressing himself :eek: didn't seem to bear much relation to temperature. he'd go into other rooms in the nh and put their clothes on sometimes, including women's clothes. Like you dad, Jane, he'd always been smartly dressed before ... quite a shock to find him in 3 sweat shirts and a woman's black skirt :eek: