clothes off

mollie1

Nov 20, 2007
Newcastle
Hi all Im hoping someone may be able to help or advise about our latest problem the manager of our mums Nursing Home has advised us by telephone that mum has been taking her clothes of un appropriatly, each time we visit we have never seen her do this or indeed when shes out with us. My Dad is meeting with the manager tomorrow and we will hopefully get more idea of the circumstances but Im worried right now as this has come out of the blue it wasnt mentioned at her review only last week and why phone us? we visit most days Please help if any one can love mollie1

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Mollie.

I don`t know why the home is making such an issue of this. My mother used to take her clothes off and the staff would put them on again.

helen.tomlinson

Mar 27, 2008
Hello Mollie

I imagine you are worried but perhaps the home just wanted you to be informed of a change in your mother's behaviour. If this is the case you might want to ask why this wasn't mentioned at the review - or maybe it is something that your mother has only just started. I can't imagine why it would be a big problem to the home.

Hope you find peace of mind about this soon Mollie.

Love Helen

germain

Jul 7, 2007
Hello Mollie

Not to worry too much - this can be quite common with some dementia sufferers !

I agree that the home can just dress her again - but if she protests you may need to look at different clothes. There was a whole thread not so long ago about "zoot suits" (all-in-ones which zip up the back I think) !

Someone will be able to point you in the right direction if you need help re these.

regards
Germain

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
Don't mean to be flippant but I have the opposite problem.

Can't get Jeans clothes off her for love nor money.

Have you tried bathing someone with their socks on?

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Grommit

Oh, yes I have. But also all their clothes.
And I am not being flippant. Mum in law, well she just had to take her clothes off. She would have been mortified, had she known what she was doing.
But this stage of her illness soon wore off.
Barb

mollie1

Nov 20, 2007
Newcastle
Thanks very useful info especially about the adapted clothing Ill be looking into this if need be as mum was so modest I think she would be so embarrassed, clothes on or off this illness is full off challenges thanks again Mollie1

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Mollie1

Can I ask if your Mum is taking any sedative medication or anti-psychotic medication?

I am the member who coined the term "zoot" suit, because when Mum was in hospital and "in my opinion over medicated" with sedatives and anti-psychotics, she became an "inappropiate undresser"

She was moved from hospital to a continuing care nusing home. The anti-psychotics were stopped and the sedatives reduced.
She stopped undressing! WONDERFUL!

Unfortunately, Mum became very agitated again and sedative medication has gradually been increased. A different anti-psychotic was prescibed, but same result, she is an inappropiate undresser once more.

Luckily, we still have the improvised suits

Please let me know how your Mum is getting on

Best of luck
Alfjess

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My mother had her stage of starting to disrobe no matter who was in her room. This would unsettle my husband no end and he would to bolt - I told him to think of it as a preview of years to come.

Undressing is a very common thing. I'm surprised that the home would even phone you about and not just wait to next visit. I guess they want to make sure you get all the information, which is good.

It's just a stage, nothing to worry about. However, it can be embarrassing for the family :)!

j.j

Jan 8, 2007
mollie1
my mam also does this quite frequently, and as alfjess has said i wonder if the drugs have something to do with it. we made a zoot suit which stopped the undressing but led to mam rolling her trousers up her legs nearly stopping the blood flow they were that tight. wether it comes from the disease or the drugs that are prescribed i don,t think it is that uncommen

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Mollie1

I have observed that Mum starts with taking her slippers and socks of first, then after a week or so, it's her top and yes when she can't manage the top she rolls up her trousers.

I am convinced it is a build up of anti- psychotics and maybe sedatives that causes this compulsive obessive behaviour

The undressing only started the first time, within a few weeks of taking the above meds. When the anti-psychotics were stopped and the sedatives reduced, then undressing stopped

Now she is back taking anti-psychotics and sedatives have been increased, the undressing has started again.

Alfjess