Clothes for old ladies with dementia

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Well, it might seem daft, but my mum can't manage zips and hooks and eyes and other odd fasteners any more. I am really looking for some pull-on skirts that don't need arthritic hands to cope with. She might manage a decent-sized button, but that is about it.

Next problem, she is not at all modern in her style of clothes, she is still back in the 1960s, knee length skirts (and she is only about 4ft 10ins now), so Marks and Sparks 24 inch are too long, and I have to turn them up. I can manage that providing the material isn't stretchy, or easily frayed. She is probably size 10 maximum.

Does anyone know of any supplier that has a good selection of pull-on skirts, short length, that might do for my mum? She is not at all fashion conscious, I just need to get her a couple more skirts. A-line is probably best. She would love a pleated skirt, but I wouldn't know how to shorten it. There is a local dressmaker but she needs 6 months notice, and my mum needs new skirts NOW.

I have tried Marks and Sparks, and have indeed ordered two skirts, but I will need to shorten them for mum to be happy.

Hope someone can help.

Margaret

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Margaret - I do wish you luck with this. It was an eternal problem with my mother as well. There just aren't the suppliers out there for elderly short ladies.

One idea I did have for you - did you look at girls uniform skirts? A size 16 is approximately an adults size 10 and they often have skirts with pleats (as long as you don't mind navy, gray or black).

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Jennifer,

I have looked at children's clothes. My problem is we are in a rural area, and have to travel some distance to get a decent selection of shops. I have shopped on line, and found an M&S skirt tonight, but it will need shortening, and I am not sure my machine will cope with the stretchy material.

Christine, Next doesn't do anything that my mum would like. She is really back in the 70s. Just on the knee, anything below and she is rolling up the waistband.

Problem.

Thanks for you advice both.

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Hello Margaret, I usually scour Bon Marche first off when buying clothes for my mum because their clothes DO seem to include older styles still and they have lots of skirts in stock at the moment. I'm not sure if you can buy online but their web address is www.bonmarche.co.uk

I also keep an eye on a firm called Allana which designs clothes for people with disabilities. Their address is www.allanasmyth.co.uk and take orders online or by phone.
They have two skirts in stock with magnetic fastenings. Not sure about lengths but you could ring them.

Another conundrum is that if I buy anything with wool in it, there is a danger it will get washed by the home to within an inch of its life. On the other hand, I have been advised not to buy clothes which have a strong synthetic component as this tends to make my mum slide forward in her chair and can contribute to soreness on her btm.

I am searching myself for a nice dress for my mum in a natural fabric preferably with a front opening. I do this every December and usually end up with separates.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Have a look at the Land's End website. They do pull on a-line skirts and have a petite range. I know they offer a free trouser hemming service and may extend that to skirst-I don't know. They are also very helpful if you contact them by phone. Love Gigi x

cynron

Sep 26, 2005
east sussex
I would also recommend Bon marche. They have a good selection of pull on skirts and i shop there a lot.If your mum is concerned about the length of her skirt she is truly still with it.

regards cynthia x x