Clocks changing

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
Does everybody hate this time of year (& Autumn of course) when the clocks go forward/back. How the hell are you supposed to explain to someone with AD how & when to do it! If MIL gets wind of it the phone calls can be constant all evening.

jen54

May 20, 2014
I have to go and change all mums clocks, will be doing so sunday- by the time I have changed them all, mum would have forgotten all about the hour going forward..or what day/month/year it is- would be very hard over the phone, as I have to tell her to do something immediately, no good her saying yup she will go do it after the call :( I am sure she would refuse to go around changing the clocks one by one while I was on the phone. She probably won't have even noticed the time change on the TV and the clock by the tv being an hour slow - it always comes as a surprise to her when I arrive and say I have to change her clocks to the right time

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
This is what I will be doing but if someone tells her or she hears it on TV!!!! Also I take her to Mass on Sunday mornings, pick her up at 9.15, so if she hasn't been told/twigged!. I usually ring her at 7.45 to 8 to see if she is fit to go (sometimes she declines) She will wonder what I am doing ringing her at 6.45!!!

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
This is one of the benefits of the time / day / date clock I got for mum last year. You set it in advance so that it adjusts automatically......amazing!!

So that just leaves the decorative clocks, the bedside clock etc.....but at least the main one 'sets the time' :) xx

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
I remember this well along with the phone calls. Mum can't use clocks anymore as she is convinced they are all wrong. The right time is the time she thinks it might be.

jen54

May 20, 2014
yup, it really doesn't make a difference to mum what time it is-she will get up when she is awake, eat when hungrey and go to bed when she is tired, it is a real bind if appointments or outings are planned! my mum doesn't even get started till lunchtime, and then will take an age to put her make up on and do her hair- ..it is nigh on impossible to get her out!

Barnsey

Jul 2, 2013
Cheshire
I have just changed all downstairs and changed upstairs earlier in the hope that mil won't realise. Hasn't up to now, all crossed!

Liz57

Dec 22, 2013
Did mums last night before I left but did end up with numerous phone calls in the couple of hours before she went to bed as she has several clocks that update automatically so I couldn't change those with the result that several clocks in the house were showing different times!

I remember having real issues with my children when the clocks change when they were little and didn't understand then, or now, why we do that these days :confused:

jen54

May 20, 2014
that's why I don't do it till sunday, if I do it beforehand she is always up late and "potters" so that is when she will be most likely to notice clocks not being right, and ahead of the time on TV etc and end up putting them back an hour anyhow- I bet mum wont be up as yet, I can tell her why I am resetting the clocks, and she will have forgotten within half an hour that they even went forward as they will be same as the TV

Liz57

Dec 22, 2013
that's why I don't do it till sunday, if I do it beforehand she is always up late and "potters" so that is when she will be most likely to notice clocks not being right, and ahead of the time on TV etc and end up putting them back an hour anyhow- I bet mum wont be up as yet, I can tell her why I am resetting the clocks, and she will have forgotten within half an hour that they even went forward as they will be same as the TV

I'll do that next time. When I got to mums this morning all the clocks were showing different times again as I think she'd tried to "put them right" again last night :mad:

jen54

May 20, 2014
well, arrived at mums- told her the clocks go forward today, she had no idea, didn't realise it was Sunday, or that time of year and hadn't even noticed the TV was an hour ahead of her clock which is right in front of TV- got them all changed, and as I thought, nothing else was mentioned, just now the clocks are all the same time as the TV - that is the only thing that would end up confusing her as she looks at the clock by the TV, and always says it's 1 o'clock etc "news is on" and turns the TV onto the news..usually off the 24hr news she already has on!

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Could someone please tell me how to adjust the time on TP, it hasn't adjusted itself:)

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
I got up and changed clocks, OH forgot clocks were to change , dog huffed and puffed because I was up early (lazy lab) . I much prefer light evenings , I hate dark nights and winter .

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
Well, she didn't want to go to Mass this morning, said she didn't feel well. She hadn't changed any clocks thus when the carer came this morning she was rudely awakened. (They come at 7 so her 6) I went to see her after Mass & changed all her clocks & watch. She didn't know what day it was, what month it was & wasn't at all freaked out that I changed her clocks. I think she was just pleased that she could put her dinner in!

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Clocks changing was a nightmare with OH's old aunt, who didn't even have dementia. She was however fanatical about having her meals on the dot. (She was so obsessive and her brother FIL was a bit the same so I think their mother must have told them you would get sick and die unless you had very regular meals)
So the time change meant she was 'all out', as she put it. Same happened when she used to visit friends in France - she'd be 'all out' because of an hour's difference. This eventually turned into something of a family joke - yesterday I told OH we'd have to have our dinner at 8 instead of 7 or we'd be 'all out'.