Clock with day and date?

SandsOfTime

May 8, 2014
Hi.

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a simple (yet useful) clock that displays the day and date (as well as the time of course).

Something similar looking to the "Living Silver Day and Date Wall Clock" that they sell in Argos. (can't post a link). This one has a big analogue clock display (with big and small hand) with all the numbers from 1-12 present. And displays the day in Mon-Sun (letters format) and the number after it (1-31)

The problem with the one above is that it doesn't change automatically each month - it keeps having to be reset which means it's not fit for purpose.

I have seen digital ones that do this automatically, BUT the problem with those is that they seem confusing - having the month and date displayed in numbers that are close together so it can easily be confused with the time - and also having extra irrelevant information such as the temperature further cluttering up the display.

I'm running out of options. Surely something like this exists and hopefully doesn't cost the earth.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
We got mum's via an OT who we had assessed via social services and mum can keep it for as long as she needs it. If you haven't had an assessment done it could be well worthwhile to see what else they can supply for you.

Dunkers58

Nov 9, 2013
Hampshire
via amazon I bought a 'perpetual calendar clock' code G236A. my mum finds it very useful, it is an ordinary clock not digital. and displays day and date. it recognises the ends of months and leap years.( setting it up is the important thing),! my mum uses it all the time checking the day against her written calendar.....the clock has to be altered march and October of course. they are a bit pricey but worth it. I have put it right in front of the television sO all she has to do is glance up, I also got one for the bedroom, helpful for checking pill blister pack day.

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
I got MIL one like this off ebay (still not very cheap, about £80 I think) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/wall-clock-retro-kitsch-grayson-/360924631768?pt=UK_Alarmclocks&hash=item5408c8d2d8

It's very big, though as she can't see very well any more but it changes month automatically except for a leap year. Runs of two AA batteries which last at least a year.

Just looked it up on ebay - Grayson wall clock with flip calendar - I paid £67 for it + p&p

Hey, I got carried away trying to find an image of the clock. I do not recommend buying stuff on ebay!

Last edited:

Hibni

Sep 16, 2013
I use an old laptop running 24/7 in Mum's bedroom. I found hugeclock on the internet and it works a treat. It's shareware and the asking price was $10 - well worth it and cheaper than any clock, assuming that you have an old laptop! A desktop PC would work too, but obviously takes up more space.

velo70

Sep 20, 2012
Devon
I bought one Dec 2012

I know the date, because I looked it up on Amazon, trying to find how to reset after fitting new batteries. Couldn't fathom, so decided to put new batteries in, leave it overnight, then worry about it. This morning, radio signal had reset the clock during the night, and date, day and time etc correct. Still available on the big A @ £13.29 with free delivery. If you look, it has a fairly good picture to displayd. May be listed as a desk clock, But my seller was The Big Ship . PREC0102. My wife needed help with day and month, as well as time. Regards.

Chook

Jun 14, 2013
Westcountry
Mum has 2 of these and they're very good. They update automatically, have the date, time, day and temperature. I find them useful too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Precision-P...id=1399668455&sr=8-7&keywords=dementia+clocks

This one looks cheaper though http://www.amazon.co.uk/Precision-P...=UTF8&qid=1399668687&sr=8-2&keywords=PREC0102

I do wish it glowed slightly but that's only a slight negative.

Have a look on amazon because there are lots of them and much cheaper than some on the alzheimer websites.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_d9kkz0ryv_b

Chook
x

Chook

Jun 14, 2013
Westcountry
They are disgustingly expensive. I really hate the fact these people are ripping off the vulnerable and who have no choice.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Well, now I know that TP'ers have a sixth sense! :p

I logged on just now to ask this very question, as mum really doesn't know what day / month it is anymore :(

The DayClox one looks good but I'd have to find a socket for it in a suitable place.....unless anyone knows of a battery operated DayClox??

Otherwise I think maybe the perpetual one that's on Amazon.....any comments anyone?

Many thanks :)

Lindy xx

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hi gilly

I agree there's a gap in the market for a slightly less office / institutional looking clock. However, I think I'm gong to have to go for one of the more expensive 'perpetual' type clocks. The one you linked to looks good but I think the problem would be mum wouldn't be able to work out how far into each day she'd got eg it might be Monday, but still 3am, and the clock doesn't clearly show that :confused:

Am too tired to decide....got to get to bed.

Seep well all :)

Lindy xx

Cfduti

May 13, 2013
Of course these sorts of topics appeal to me because most of my life I've been making do which oftem means make it. I see the laptop/pc idea's been mentioned. That's simple for me but I have soare stuff around and know what I need and how to put it together. However with this idea I'm reminded of the old grandfather clock and other interesting timepieces of times past which I think may have been a way that society dealt with these sorts of problems with aging and when you sleep as a child with a grandfather clock telling you the time on a quarter hour basis so if you want you can always count the various chimes and know what time it is. Some clocks have sun/moon dials as well and a lot of them are interesting. Anyway, I had a look around at such things but with cheap modern electronic battery driven examples and there are some attractive ones out there but nothing reasonable to suit.

However, It can be amusing :

Specifications

genuine leather clock cheap cuckoo clocks
1.Acculate timing.
2.270*800mm
3.anti rupture,no fading, water poof.
It is a very artical home decoration. measure:270*800mm.

material: 1. 4 cm thick baseboard printed with any kinds of picture. the picture can be printed as custom.

2. the frame is make by PS, the PS is cover Bronzing film . the most best Bronzing film,

make in Korea.

The printing on the base board is nonfading. nonfading in the text. ( in the 200 degree Celsius Oven. and in the water)

Acculate timing. no voice. The electronic movement is make in Taiwan, the Best one. very good quolity.

Aluminum hour hand. never rusty.

Aprilbabe

Apr 17, 2014
My mum uses a calendar clock which I bought her from Amazon. You have had plenty of links from other TP's, but what I would say is try Social Services. When my mum had an assessment a couple of weeks ago, one of the things mentioned to help was a calendar clock. I produced my mum's clock, which the lady said was good but she did mention another larger version. It might well be worth getting in touch with SS to see what they can do for you. (Know you have had a reply mentioning you get in touch with SS).
By the way, not sure where you are located, but there is an Alzheimer's show in Olympia, London on Friday and Saturday, 16th and 17th May and also in Manchester, EventCity in July (cannot remember dates, sorry). I'm sure there will be plenty of ideas etc at the show.

candiedsonia

Jul 13, 2012
Watford
This clock with days on has worked for me.

I got this clock for mum as she has no idea about date/time etc and got confused with other clocks.
This is propped up in bathroom by her tablets.

I phone her every morning and get her to check the clock against her tablets. Most days she has already taken them.
Seems simple and working for the moment now.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hi candiedsonia :) (great name btw!)

Do you have a link to this clock by any chance? Your post kind of reads as though you had included one....

Glad you've found something that works :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HollyK