Climb Kilimanjaro 2007

Javen

Aug 8, 2006
Portsmouth
Hi everyone,

I've just joined Talking Point to help raise the profile of the climb I'm doing next year to raise money for the Portsmouth Branch of Alzheimers UK - mainly because they are the branch that directly helped my girlfriend, whose father developed Alzheimers.

What I am doing is a trek to the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro in June of next year - and along the way notch up a few charity races as well (am especially hoping to get a place on the Flora London Marathon).

I have created an online training website, where you can track my progress and catch up on my training and fundraising for the society.

My Training Website: www.climbkilimanjaro.org
My JustGiving Page: www.justgiving.com/climbkilimanjaro2007

From here on in I will be a regular face on the forums, trying to drum up support and swapping ideas with fellow fundraisers.

Lee

Javen

Aug 8, 2006
Portsmouth
Hi Nada,

Yup - I figured I needed something pretty momentous to push myself, and I've always fancied climbing a mountain...

I can't quite make my mind up whether it was brilliance or idiocy that made me agree to do it in the first place...

Now that I'm started though, I feel fantastic... And proud that I am helping others.

Lee

jakky

Jan 30, 2006
Staffs
Hi Lee/javen

good on ya :) .......major task in front of ya, stay focussed on your reason/goals and i`m certain you`ll complete the climb with no problems ;)

and TIP- don`t miss any training sessions!!!:eek: it gets harder....:D :D

jakky

hels_valo

Nov 22, 2006
Cambridge
www.justgiving.com
kili

Hi Lee,
Im a newbe to talking point, im also climbing Kilimanjaro for Alzheimer's, hows your fundraising and training going? I dont think its really sunk in for me yet how much of a challenge its going to be yet heh. anything thats worked really well for you fundraising wise?

Helen

IanR

Dec 12, 2006
Leicester
Kilimanjaro tips

Lee,

Good luck! I climbed it 4 years ago when I was 52 and found it not too difficult. You dont need extreme physical fitness. Normal walking, especially with some hill work is recommended - dont do as some of my party did whaich was running training on the way up - one fell runner didnt make it. Follow the guides advice - "pole, pole" which means slowly. It is frustrating at first but gets you there. No one can tell how they will react to altitude so take some diamox and use them at the first sign of sickness, or before the final climb anyway. On our party all the women got to the top and half the men failed - apparently a fact that women cope better. The walking is easy and the scenery magnificent but dont underestimate the cold at night above 10,000' and especially on the last climb. The gold framed certificate on the way down is a nice souvenir that will alst for years.

Ian.