Clawing back payment for direct sitting service following move into residential care

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Hi All

Just wanted to check with you more informed people that this payment for a carer's sitting service isn't one of the protected benefits that still continue when someone is moved into residential care. It seems eminently reasonable that the County Council doesn't have an obligation to continue paying for a sitting service to my mind. As far as I know, Attendance Allowance continues to be paid until the cared for person is awarded CHC funding.

The letter says " A payment for £X was paid into [carer's] Direct Payment account on the 29th July 2015. This payment was for a carer’s sitting service for the period 01/07/2015 – 31/03/2016. However since then [the cared for person]has moved to a nursing home".

Your thoughts please?

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Sorry I can't help much.
Just wanted to give your post a bump up.
I think you are right about the sitting service payment but I don't actually know

AA continues while a person is self funding ,don't know if it continues if CHC is granted but I am sure others here will know.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
AA stops if a person has any kind of la funding or is getting chc. The only time aa coninues to be paid is if you are self-funding. Was this a payment in arrears? That is you are paid after the fact? It sounds like it although perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you are saying.

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
I think the "sitting service" may be a form of Council funded respite care? I don't think it's got anything to do with Attendance Allowance ...

Perhaps what I should really be doing is asking what it is ... until today though all I knew was that Dad had been asked to pay it back (whatever "it" was :confused:).