Christmas gifts

Lulu

Nov 28, 2004
I am sorry if Christmas seems to be the last thought on everyone's mind just now and given our situation at the moment I would rather not think about it myself. However, I would welcome ideas on what to buy the staff on the unit where my Mum is. Over the years it has been bottles of wine, chocolates, biscuits ...all the usual. Whilst there isn't anything wrong with these things, does anyone have any more inspirational ideas? The Carers are good and kind and I want to say thanks in the best way I can. What do others do?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi Lulu
I do the same, chocolates or biscuits - it's tricky as there are rules in dad's care home about what staff can and cannot accept (no personal/individual gifts)
I actually take in a box of something quite regularly just to give them a treat and let them know I appreciate what they do for my dad

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I wonder if you could get a poster or something which says how much you appreciate the carers, or make one if you're the crafty type?

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I am sorry if Christmas seems to be the last thought on everyone's mind just now and given our situation at the moment I would rather not think about it myself. However, I would welcome ideas on what to buy the staff on the unit where my Mum is. Over the years it has been bottles of wine, chocolates, biscuits ...all the usual. Whilst there isn't anything wrong with these things, does anyone have any more inspirational ideas? The Carers are good and kind and I want to say thanks in the best way I can. What do others do?

Personally I love it when people give me chocolates and wine, hope they are not drinking on the job!!!! You could stick to that but make a change, why not a bottle or two of non vintage bubbly with chocolate covered strawberries.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
For many years, I bought 5 huge (2 kilo, I think) tins of shortbread for all the staff at the nursing home. One year I got something different. Although they were just as appreciative as ever, I could see they liked the tradition of the shortbread better. Even though Mum died this August, I plan on doing the same again. Plus, I went back to the nursing home for a memorial service, which they do every three months or so and was invited by the staff to a Christmas potluck. They were wonderful and I so appreciate the invitation. I will definitely be going.

Sorry, got off topic there.

Pinkys

Nov 13, 2014
South of England
We gave a box with 24 small tubes of very nice hand cream. So maybe lovely liquid soap and hand cream sets for their loo, or one of those reed scented oil diffusers. Something to improve the environment, as it were.

And actually a present spontaneously at another time would be much appreciated, when all the Xmas stuff has been eaten! So a lovely thoughtful card at Xmas and a present in January???

Last edited:

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Actually, for the last Christmas Mum was alive, I made a lucky bag up and let them all take a gift...hand cream, diary, bubble bath, ball pen, chocolate.. Certainly not one gift cost more than a pound....mostly I bought them from about September onwards in the Pound shops or similar. I wrapped all of them up. bought a red fluffy Santa sack from the PS too and told them to take their pick. ...... I had guestimated how many I needed and then added on a few in case....I suggested that any left over could be passed on to any residents they thought fit. This way all the staff got a gift and the staff room received two less large boxes of biscuits.

Malalie

Sep 1, 2016
What about a large Christmas Cake in a tin, maybe iced with a message of thanks to the carers, that they could leave in their staff room to share?

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
Last year I bough mini perfumes. Staff really had a great time choosing which one they wanted.

Not so Rosy

Nov 30, 2013
When my husband was in a hospice I asked what the staff would like. The overwhelming vote was for nice hand creams/hand wash they could use in situ or shower gel they could take home.

I carried on buying L'Occitane or Molton Brown goodies for Dads carers which was always much appreciated. M and S does some very reasonable stuff too, normally on a 3 for 2.

jknight

Oct 23, 2015
Hampshire
On the other side. Mum is living at home, with help. Do i buy presents on her behalf? Do I add her name to my cards?
Christmas is a new minefield!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
On the other side. Mum is living at home, with help. Do i buy presents on her behalf? Do I add her name to my cards?
Christmas is a new minefield!

This is the first year we will be in this situation. The team of carers that visit Mum is quite large, buying a little something each would soon add up. I'm afraid choccys, biscuits etc that they can take back to the office and share will be the most likely gift for them.