1. Sarahdun

Sarahdun Registered User

May 18, 2014
    What are getting the person you care for, for Christmas and why? Looking for good ideas!

2. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    Jumpers, because he's in need of some new ones. OH has no concept of Christmas anymore.

3. nannylondon

nannylondon Registered User

Apr 7, 2014
    London
    I am giving my husband clothes and DIL has made a new twiddle blanket he is not able to eat chocolate etc. except chocolate buttons which someone else on here suggested.

4. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    #4 nitram, Dec 19, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  5. nannylondon

nannylondon Registered User

Apr 7, 2014
    London
  6. Sarahdun

Sarahdun Registered User

May 18, 2014
    I am lucky that OH still understands and loves Christmas (though not presents quite so much). There is a theme here though because I have got him chocolate which he will love. I guess a sweet tooth is quite common? Also it is instant pleasure, no memory required.

Also a (cheap) watch. He has got through four this year and cannot tell the time, but I know it makes him feel 'normal/better' at some level to have one.

He is low moderate stage eoAD.

7. Sarahdun

Sarahdun Registered User

May 18, 2014
    And for his mother, I should add, I have a selection box of biscuits etc. Similar to chocolate but she can also give them away to the rest of us, which she loves doing still.

She is not early onset, but age related mixed dementia.

8. LynneMcV

LynneMcV Volunteer Moderator

May 9, 2012
    south-east London
    I have bought my husband his favourite 'luxury' aftershave because he loves the smell of it and it makes him feel good about himself. I've also bought a long-sleeved thin, soft cotton mix top as the day centre he attends is always overly warm and the long-sleeved tops he currently has are just that bit too thick
    Our son and daughter have bought him a lovely soft scarf in his football team's colours - and for the sweet tooth, he has a couple of chocolate bars branded with his football team's packaging.
    I think between us we have satisfied the senses of touch, taste and smell!

9. CollegeGirl

CollegeGirl Registered User

Jan 19, 2011
    North East England
    I'm giving my mam the twiddle muffs that another kind member made for her - in the hope that it will encourage her to sit down and twiddle, instead of pacing.

A pretty nightie - because she's still my mam and deserves pretty things.

A tin of Fox's biscuits - because Fox's were always her favourites and I know that even though she won't know they are a present, or even who gave her them, she'll enjoy eating them.

10. Katrine

Katrine Registered User

Jan 20, 2011
    England
  11. AlsoConfused

AlsoConfused Registered User

Sep 17, 2010
    A shatter-proof, musical snow globe ...

Mum will need to be helped to get the music playing but I think she'll be able to upturn the globe at will and watch the snow drifting down. Also she'll be interested in the little people and their car inside the globe (I hope!).

12. Pear trees

Pear trees Registered User

Jan 25, 2015
    I'm making my mum a hamper of lots of Mr Kipling cakes, fruit pots, fresh fruit and sweets. My SIL will make her micro meals daily as her lunch club is closed, and will bring her a proper Christmas dinner.

I am visiting her on Wed as am working on Christmas day. Maybe this time she won't slam the door in my face, then, when I do get in, ignore me totally whilst watching TV and moaning all the time about being left to starve! But she does enjoy eating the food once I've gone!

13. River15

River15 Registered User

May 28, 2015
    I'm thinking about buying my mum a Polaroid camera and album and we can collect photos together and help her put them in the album each time do something special

14. Sue J

Sue J Registered User

Dec 9, 2009
    I have got a photo album for my friend and put in photos I know she will still remember at the moment. Also a musical Christmas tree full of bics which I know she'll love.

15. Slugsta

Slugsta Registered User

Mum fell several months ago and hit her head. The paramedics had to glue the wound back together. I don't know how she managed to get blood all over the blanket (the pillows I can understand!) but she did. The blanket/throw has pictures of cats all over it but is actually very threadbare now so I asked if she would like one for Christmas. That was one problem easily solved :)

http://www.cafepress.co.uk/+cats_throw_blanket,1541440278

This is the first year that we have not done stockings so I have got her a couple of foodie things too (some halva, nougat etc) and a pack of socks.

16. LynneMcV

LynneMcV Volunteer Moderator

May 9, 2012
    south-east London
    What a good idea. I had no idea Polaroid cameras still existed - I remember them from the 1970s and they were great fun

My husband really doesn't enjoy looking at digital photos (yes I know you can get them printed off but I never seen to get around to it) - the idea of something instantly available to handle and look at is perfect.

Thanks for such a great idea. My children and husband have been asking what to get me and I honestly couldn't think of anything. Now I know what to get and I know my husband will benefit too.

:) Excited now haha!

17. Sarahdun

Sarahdun Registered User

May 18, 2014
    Merry Christmas!

Good luck to everybody tomorrow, and happy Christmas to you all.

18. Sarahdun

Sarahdun Registered User

May 18, 2014
    Afterwards. He loves the watch. Cannot tell the time, but never takes it off. Also loved the laces-free pull-on shoes we bought today. Says he never realised that putting on shoes could be so easy. He is still only 59. I cannot understand how on the one hand he seems to accept his limitations and be so grateful for these small assistances, and yet, on the other, if told again that he had dementia he would fly into a violent rage. How very, very odd.

19. AlsoConfused

AlsoConfused Registered User

Sep 17, 2010
    Another "progress report", a fairly positive one.

Mum enjoys her snow globe. She likes looking at the 2 people and car within the globe and making the thing "snow". It's beyond Mum to work out how to make the music play - carers have to do that for her - and in any case she doesn't seem keen on listening to the tune.

20. Sarahdun

Sarahdun Registered User

May 18, 2014
    "Like" Also, happy new year. No irony intended. :)