Choosing a nursing home

Dolly80

Jun 22, 2019
My nan is currently in a nursing home where she is happy and settled, however they want her moved to a EMI home as they feel they can't meet her needs.
It was my responsibility to pick the home, as my grandad isn't well enough himself and doesn't have the capacity, and my nan's two children - one lives in Australia and we communicate through FB, the other (my dad) isn't interested and doesn't live in the area.
There were only 2 EMI homes in our local area, one was apparently unsuitable because the waiting list was deemed too long, and the other has been rated as inadequate by CQC. My priority is my nan's safety and wellbeing so I considered homes outside of our area, however they were all rated as failing by CQC. In the end I chose the home which was in our local area because this meant I could keep an eye on her, plus when I viewed the care home, it did seem really nice.
However I just feel so awful that she's going into a failing care home, and I'm worried sick something bad is going to happen to her whilst she's there. Has anyone else had this experience of not being provided with any nursing/care homes offering a reasonable standard of care? Sorry for the long post and thankyou for reading.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to DTP @Dolly80

I quite understand your worries but if you feel that the carehome is nice I wouldn't worry too much about the CQC rating. They will have only a snapshot idea of how things are. I expect they only visited for one day and it may have been a bad day! Trust your instincts and build a good relationship with the staff at the carehome. That's worth far more than any CQC rating.

Dolly80

Jun 22, 2019
Welcome to DTP @Dolly80

I quite understand your worries but if you feel that the carehome is nice I wouldn't worry too much about the CQC rating. They will have only a snapshot idea of how things are. I expect they only visited for one day and it may have been a bad day! Trust your instincts and build a good relationship with the staff at the carehome. That's worth far more than any CQC rating.

Thankyou that's really helpful advice :)! !

Steve115

May 17, 2016
Huntingdon area
Ask to see the CQC report. It should be available on line as well. That will give you a view of the concerns and help you to understand what you may need to keep an eye on.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Ask to see the CQC report. It should be available on line as well. That will give you a view of the concerns and help you to understand what you may need to keep an eye on.
Read the cqc report from the home in the papers recently where the manager was throwing away the residents medications unopened, the home got a good in all areas. Somehow the manager avoided a prison sentence, happens all the time that a home after as good or better report can have issues.
I always look when these cases get to court and the home gets named and it's surprising how many the cqc rated as good until something happens.
CQC reports are all available on line for what they're worth.
K

Rosie66

Jun 19, 2019
As a former carer in a home, don't forget that regardless of the care home's rating CQC, it's really all about the staff. Are the people there 'good people', will they be there for the residents or are they more concerned with their phones and tea breaks. You will know in your heart and you cannot take on the burden wholesale, you are already being totally there for this individual. Your Nan would tell you how fantastic you are I'm sure if she could.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Care homes - like schools, hospitals, etc, are in a state of constant flux. Staff come and go or 3 may be off sick in one week. Residents also come and go. One week there may be only a few who need constant care, other times that number could increase to 6 or more, so imagine the impact that has on staff.

Also, any report doesn't say whether the place is getting better or getting worse. Two homes may have the same middling rating but one may have previously been better whilst the other may have previously been worse. I think I'd prefer a home where faults had been recognised and it was improving its standards than one where things were slipping. But you can't get this info from the CQC reports.

In the end, you make your choice and keep an eye on things, with fingers crossed the 3 wonderful staff don't all leave in the same week!

Good luck.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I think @Jaded'n'faded has summed it up pretty well. The CQC reports dont always give a true picture.
Wherever you go you will be keeping an eye on things, so if you have a good feeling about the place, the carers are good and your nan seems well looked after, dont worry about things that probably wont happen.

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
The CQC system is somewhat like the Ofsted one, in that when the establishment gets a Good or Outstanding rating, they tend to leave it alone for several years (I assume to focus efforts on those needing more scrutiny - or maybe just lack of resources to do the inspections?).

I have visited a few homes over the last year or so, some rated Good and others Needing Improvement and all were a bit shabby, but seemed to be very caring and well run. This was done to try and be prepared for when my wife needs residential care but I dread actually making a decision.

Phil

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
If possible try and have a chat with some of the other residents families to see what their thoughts are. We have been asked a number of times by visitors asking if mum is a permanent resident and what do we think of the care she gets etc.

The nursing home that mum is in was marked as requiring improvement, but from what we have seen/experienced there are no problems as far as mum's care is concerned, so as others have said the checks don't always give the full picture. Good Luck