Choosing a home care agency

sws1973

Mar 16, 2015
Mansfield
Hello. I've only just joined. I've been reading other people's threads for hours. It's like a new world to me. I can see I've got so much to learn.

My dad is 83 and has vascular dementia. He has had a private care agency for personal care every morning for 30 mins for nearly a year but has deteriorated during that year. Social services have just completed another assessment & they agree with me that we need to increase that care to three times a day. They also suggest that if I want to change providers that now would be a good time, but nobody ones to offer any advice e.g. The most valuable word of mouth as to good ones or bad ones.
My most pertinent problem is carer selection. I was given three originally a year ago n advised to go to the cqc website - which I did. The cheapest company I initially avoided until I read a coupleof whistleblower stories on the other two - which led me back to the cheapest. I'm not saying the current provider is a bad one, but my gut seems to tell me that a different tact is required. So I'm back looking at the council A-Z list n CQC reports but my current reading has left me inconclusive. I'm also worried that perhaps it's 'better the devil you know' or that perhaps I am asking too much.

However, what's led me here tonight is that I have met somebody who I believe I can trust who has suggested a care provider based on their experiences - but there's no CQC report that I can find for that provider yet there is a CQC logo on the providers web page. Obviously I will contact the provider about this but
But basically I'm asking if anyone on this forum Could offer any insight as to whether I'm being too narrow minded regarding CQC reports or whether the lack of one indicates a 'strict no no'? Any opions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you to anyone who has taken time to read this.

Adcat

Jun 15, 2014
London
Evening,
I can only tell you my story.
My dad has mixed dementia diagnosed 6 months ago. Symptoms long before this. My dad can wash and dress himself with some direction. He needs assistance making tea and cooking. The catalyst for getting care at home was/is his wandering. This led me to the conclusion that he could not be left on his own. However, neither is he ready or indeed willing to leave his own home. I phoned up one national care agency. A manager turned up and promised me the world. I called up a local agency, the same thing happened. Agency number three was a different story from the first phone call. I had a sympathetic listening ear and within 48 hours the agency franchise owner, a field manager and a carer were sitting in my house listening to my requirements for my dad and evaluating if they could provide the support I wanted. I have been with them since July and have had the same consistent carers which is great.
Social services were not helpful. Indeed, despite not assessing dad they told me that he probably did not need 1:1 attention. I stated that I would not live with myself if dad got lost, injured, mugged etc and did not want to rely on the emergency services picking up the pieces.
In essence, my advice is that you want to see the carer who will be looking after your dad. The agency is just the conduit.

I hope this ramble helps.

Take care.

sws1973

Mar 16, 2015
Mansfield
Evening,
I can only tell you my story.
My dad has mixed dementia diagnosed 6 months ago. Symptoms long before this. My dad can wash and dress himself with some direction. He needs assistance making tea and cooking. The catalyst for getting care at home was/is his wandering. This led me to the conclusion that he could not be left on his own. However, neither is he ready or indeed willing to leave his own home. I phoned up one national care agency. A manager turned up and promised me the world. I called up a local agency, the same thing happened. Agency number three was a different story from the first phone call. I had a sympathetic listening ear and within 48 hours the agency franchise owner, a field manager and a carer were sitting in my house listening to my requirements for my dad and evaluating if they could provide the support I wanted. I have been with them since July and have had the same consistent carers which is great.
Social services were not helpful. Indeed, despite not assessing dad they told me that he probably did not need 1:1 attention. I stated that I would not live with myself if dad got lost, injured, mugged etc and did not want to rely on the emergency services picking up the pieces.
In essence, my advice is that you want to see the carer who will be looking after your dad. The agency is just the conduit.

I hope this ramble helps.

Take care.

Thank very much for taking the time to reply so soon. Arming myself with information one of best things I can think of at moment.