Choosing a care home

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
We are in the process of choosing a care home which will be all or part funded by the LA until such times as our house is sold if I die first. I have made a choice which John likes and would be willing to go on a waiting list for it.

Our SW who is dealing with the financial end of things tells me a decision will be made by her superiors this coming week but she seems to be stressing they may not agree with my choice and want to recommend another home.

I have read the Care Act 2014 and it seems to emphasise the importance of choice within reason. I believe I have a very good case for the choice so can I take any action if the decision next week goes against me? How successful would that be? Should I just accept what they say even though I will not be happy about it?

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
My Mum chose her own CH. When we applied to the LA for Deferred payment approval. we were told that it was unlikely that the SS would approve the choice, however we were able to back up her choice with tthe arguement that she could walk or be taken to her church by friends, because it was local, and that she was familiar with the area and this was important since she was registered blind. She was still able to go the her day centre at the local Blind Society, and lastly, her friends....who were all of similar age and infirmity could manage to visit her there....

All of these reasons were deemed relevant enough to let approval be granted.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
We are in the process of choosing a care home which will be all or part funded by the LA until such times as our house is sold if I die first. I have made a choice which John likes and would be willing to go on a waiting list for it.

Our SW who is dealing with the financial end of things tells me a decision will be made by her superiors this coming week but she seems to be stressing they may not agree with my choice and want to recommend another home.

I have read the Care Act 2014 and it seems to emphasise the importance of choice within reason. I believe I have a very good case for the choice so can I take any action if the decision next week goes against me? How successful would that be? Should I just accept what they say even though I will not be happy about it?

Have you been told what your personal budget will be? If the CH is within that and can cater for the needs I cannot see why they would object. If it is outside then they probably will.:(

Just noticed your location is Scotland. Doesn't the Care Act only cover England?

Last edited:

Mannie

Mar 13, 2014
Bracknell area

Possibly Carers UK would have an info sheet for your entitlements, or even Alz UK. You are right is good to be prepared about what points you could make to justify your choice

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa