choking when not eating

Lucy O

Jul 4, 2005
Sorry to be a pain everyone! I only seem to write on here when I have a query, but you are always so full of good advice and I never seem to get any advice from the professionals.
My mother is in her 10th year of Vascular Dementia/Alzheimers, living in her own home with carers (or me, when I'm not working). In October I wrote on here because even liquidised food seemed to be making her choke, you all gave me good tips and the Speech Therapist finally came in March and just said carry on as we are, and thankfully told the doctor that a peg was not a good idea, so I don't have to make the decision. Mummy does seem to be okish with liquidised food at the moment, though still has her off days. What I really want to ask about now is what if she is choking when she is not eating - she sits in her chair 'watching television'/snoozing and then starts choking. It obviously hurts, as she screws her face up in pain-she can no longer speak so can't tell me where it hurts. The Gp says that her chest is clear. Has anyone any clues what is causing this and whether anything can be done. Am presuming because of her poor swallowing she is getting saliva stuck in her throat - but would obviously love to do something if possible.
Another mini query!- because her walking/balance is going/gone it is hard to change pads etc - she is not bed bound yet, so I don't change them when she's lying down. Has anyone hints as to change pads without us both being in danger of falling over?
Thank you in advance.
Lucy

germain

Jul 7, 2007
Hi there

Will be brief but graphic - I always did them when Mum was on loo or sat her on commode. Pants straight down - change pad & pants and clean up with very large wet wipes. At one point we used the knicker pads which have elastic tear off sides - until they were too thin.

Easier to get a commode than climb the stairs !

Re the choking - does your Mum wear false teeth ? Our Mum could "pouch" food under and around hers and if it slipped down when she wasn't expecting it , it could lead to a coughing fit.
Or perhaps your Mum just has a tickly cough - these can be appalling to shake off and can lead to major coughing bouts.

Hope this helps
regards
Germain

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Parkinson's

My hubby, has parkinson's
Has your mum's head gone slightly forward?
Just a hint. Could account for the cough.
Barb

Lucy O

Jul 4, 2005
Thanks

Thanks Germain and Barb. I do usually change my mother's pads when she's on the loo - it's the pulling up that gets dangerous, trying to support her with one arm and pull up with the other!
Barb - I will look at her head when I go home tonight.
Have a good weekend
Lucy