Choking on own saliva

Evie5831

Nov 7, 2015
Hi. Update, been in twice today. By 125pm he had 75ml, I tried him myself with 2 half spoons of thickened fluid and he choked really bad. Stayed with him a while until he could clear it, it took ages and managed to settle him and he went to sleep. Also went at 8pm and by this point he had a total of 150ml so I gave another 2 half spoons but it worse than the previous time. Just couldn't get shut of it out of his throat, when he was gulping you could hear this really weird splash. Just kept coughing and bubbling, I can see the fluid getting less and less now day by day but who knows, there are so many ups and downs with this illness. Mum and I were really shocked at his hip bones, horrific, no wonder he is in pain when he is moved, he is a skeleton. Poor Dad. He was doing more staring and talking to thin air tonight , couldnt understand him though which is a shame as one time he smiled and pointed. He seemed the weakest I have seen him so far, mum and I cried alot tonight, my eyes are sore!! Sadly we can't hold his hands, he does this thing were he pulls on you and squeezes, he even does it to his own hands, it actually hurts! The dementia blanket he has is a blessing. Once we settled him tonight and he looked comfortable he started to go to sleep, I whispered in his ear 'love you Dad, love you so much' and even though his mouth was wide open the corners of his mouth broke for a split second into a smile and then it was gone. Broke my heart.
Heartbreaking for you all. I don't believe I have ever seen a crueller disease than this one, robbing you of your loved one hour by hour, day by day, week by week. I pray you all find peace soon

Rob1066

Aug 15, 2016
Final stages

We are currently at this stage now, and getting worse for a year (10 years in in total) my dads pain relief has been doubled this week.
Not sure if We are waiting for a release from it all or not, privately in my own mind I have to admit I am, a person can surely only suffer for so long.......one of the most hateful illnesses. Though go to anyone dealing with this.

Emmy_83

Mar 8, 2014
Yorkshire
Slowly slowly

My dad has been in hospital for three weeks and yesterday they told us they were putting him on end of life care. I spoke to the hospital and rushed up from my job two hours away. It all seemed very surreal and the chaplain came and read a prayer. My mother and I stayed with him in the hospital last night and he slept peacefully as he could with them turning him every few hours. Now it's today and he's still sleeping... How long is a piece of string. He's not eating or drinking and can't swallow. We're using the sticks to moisten his mouth. But we feel useless just watching him sleep. It's terrible. And all the time I feel guilty as I just want him to go to sleep and pass peacefully rather than linger. I feel so bad saying that :-(

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My dad has been in hospital for three weeks and yesterday they told us they were putting him on end of life care. I spoke to the hospital and rushed up from my job two hours away. It all seemed very surreal and the chaplain came and read a prayer. My mother and I stayed with him in the hospital last night and he slept peacefully as he could with them turning him every few hours. Now it's today and he's still sleeping... How long is a piece of string. He's not eating or drinking and can't swallow. We're using the sticks to moisten his mouth. But we feel useless just watching him sleep. It's terrible. And all the time I feel guilty as I just want him to go to sleep and pass peacefully rather than linger. I feel so bad saying that :-(

Dont feel bad emmy. My mum has had 3 chest infections this year and have twice been told we are at the end. She is still with us, but I often think that it would be better for her to pass away. Its not awful - its realistic.

((((hugs)))) to you and rob

Emmy_83

Mar 8, 2014
Yorkshire
Dont feel bad emmy. My mum has had 3 chest infections this year and have twice been told we are at the end. She is still with us, but I often think that it would be better for her to pass away. Its not awful - its realistic.

((((hugs)))) to you and rob

Thanks Canary. It's so hard isn't it. Thinking of you and mum too x

Last edited:

Red66

Feb 29, 2016

Hi Emmy_83 i sympathise with you deeply, reading your post takes me through my Dad's last days. He passed sadly on 14/8. Watching someone die is just awful and you go over the process in your head. What I found most important that Dad was so peaceful in his passing, like your Dad his was unable to swallow and saliva just trickled on down to his lungs and he was too weak to cough. His body shut down over 12 days. On his last day although lots of changes took place he remained calm, I am so proud of him for that, he was never one to complain, his leg could have been hanging off and his response was I'm fine' and he kept that up even on the day he died. I knew he was going to be in a better place and it doesn't make it any easier. I miss him so much, but I will always be thankful he was my Dad. I wish you strength, sending you a hug. Red xx

Emmy_83

Mar 8, 2014
Yorkshire
Hi Emmy_83 i sympathise with you deeply, reading your post takes me through my Dad's last days. He passed sadly on 14/8. Watching someone die is just awful and you go over the process in your head. What I found most important that Dad was so peaceful in his passing, like your Dad his was unable to swallow and saliva just trickled on down to his lungs and he was too weak to cough. His body shut down over 12 days. On his last day although lots of changes took place he remained calm, I am so proud of him for that, he was never one to complain, his leg could have been hanging off and his response was I'm fine' and he kept that up even on the day he died. I knew he was going to be in a better place and it doesn't make it any easier. I miss him so much, but I will always be thankful he was my Dad. I wish you strength, sending you a hug. Red xx

Thanks Red. Same with my dad. He looks peaceful and hopefully will remain so. Breathing keeps changing and as you mentioned he coughs briefly with the mucus build up.
But only he can decide now what happens. It's all in his hands. He's been a fab dad and I'll miss him but it's time for him to be laid on the beach up there sipping a G&T :) xx

Red66

Feb 29, 2016
Thanks Red. Same with my dad. He looks peaceful and hopefully will remain so. Breathing keeps changing and as you mentioned he coughs briefly with the mucus build up.
But only he can decide now what happens. It's all in his hands. He's been a fab dad and I'll miss him but it's time for him to be laid on the beach up there sipping a G&T :) xx

Yes, the breathing is fast and then shallow, then shallower sadly, I kept feeling his pulse and felt it come to a stop, very very sad. An hour before my Dad died I told him that I loved him and he was the best Dad I could have wished for, I don't know how he did it, where he found the strength from but he turned his head into mine (I whispered it right into his ear). My Mum and brother saw it too. That was so upsetting but he did hear me so for that I feel blessed. Perhaps your Dad may even meet mine, we are talking through awful times, maybe there meeting will be more pleasant!! X

Gwendy1

Feb 9, 2016
Glasgow

Thinking about you, Emmy. Hope your dad stays peaceful on his way to that beach. X stay strong. ❤️️Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Emmy_83

Mar 8, 2014
Yorkshire
Thinking about you, Emmy. Hope your dad stays peaceful on his way to that beach. X stay strong. ❤️️Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

And me you too Gwendy.

And Red what a lovely moment to have with your dad. We keep telling my dad we're both here and how much we love him. It's whats most important I think that they know they're loved and we're here for them x

ckinbox25

Dec 1, 2018
I am very sorry for both you and your dad. My mother also has Alzheimer's, and at one point was coughing and choking on her own saliva. Her coughing and choking, and aspirating in to her lungs, matched exactly what you are describing with your dad. She was unable to swallow, and thus eat.

What suddenly made a dramatic difference in her condition was starting to thoroughly floss her teeth with un-flavored dental floss, once a day. By thorough, I mean not just sticking the floss straight up and down in between her teeth, but curving the floss along the base of the tooth, at the gumline, to remove the plaque and food debris along the gumline as well. Almost immediately, her choking and coughing were dramatically reduced, and she was much more comfortable. She eventually was able to resume drinking and eating, with much less coughing afterwards.

The doctors were amazed at her improvement, they had expected her to continue getting worse. Please strongly consider flossing once a day for this choking condition.

Again, my mother did have some residual coughing even after she began flossing, although nowhere near as bad as before. I also gave her some salted butter, straight from the carton and not spread on any bread or mixed with anything, and this seemed to help her mild coughing as well. (I used Land O Lakes brand).

I am sorry that this reply was posted a few years after your original post. I just came across this forum, and post, today. Please accept my condolences for you and your dad.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonkeyFeet