Chocolate ructions

Quizbunny

Nov 20, 2011
Poor mum has had a couple of incidents recently where the carers have gone into her room and found she has pooed in there and has smeared it about and even parcelled it up in her clothes. She is still mobile and usually will go into the loo when she needs to, although she isn't very good at cleaning herself afterwards. My sister visited this afternoon and was told that this morning she had made a dreadful mess of her room that I'm sure must have been horrible for them to clean up. Thing is they have asked that we not give her chocolate anymore. Does chocolate have a bearing here do you think? Surely she would poo with or without having it in her diet. Don't want to make life hard for the staff but mum has such little happiness in her life and it is about the only thing that gives her any pleasure.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
She might suffer from constipation and resulting overflow. Get her to a doctor to have her checked out. They could prescribe things like Fybogel to help her along. Don't see what chocolate has got to do with anything but if she is getting doubly incontinent, a visit to the Continence Service for pads might be advisable.

Bigreader

Jan 22, 2016
Chocolate

Hi, my mother couldn't have any chocolate, not even Coco Pops! It went straight through her and is, apparently, quite common. Eventually she forgot she liked chocolate, but I do understand that it seems mean to take it away. Why don't you try it for a few dYs and see what happens?

Good luck, this is such an horrific symptom of such a horrible disease.

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Poor mum has had a couple of incidents recently where the carers have gone into her room and found she has pooed in there and has smeared it about and even parcelled it up in her clothes. She is still mobile and usually will go into the loo when she needs to, although she isn't very good at cleaning herself afterwards. My sister visited this afternoon and was told that this morning she had made a dreadful mess of her room that I'm sure must have been horrible for them to clean up. Thing is they have asked that we not give her chocolate anymore. Does chocolate have a bearing here do you think? Surely she would poo with or without having it in her diet. Don't want to make life hard for the staff but mum has such little happiness in her life and it is about the only thing that gives her any pleasure.

Yes I agree that this is not easy for carers but surely this is part of a carers job. T has accidents like this all the time. It is heartbreaking but all part of the condition. He is in respite this week and he allows staff to assist him but won't cooperate with me at home.

Aisling ( Ireland)

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Strangely enough my husband has had a couple of poo incidents this morning. Nothing major but he is normally ok to get to the loo, though I have to say I don't think he does as good a job of cleaning himself now, though he tries hard.

The only thing that has really changed before today's events has been an extra intake of chocolate. My daughter bought him back an 11oz bag of chocolates from America two days ago and he has been making his way through them.

Maybe it is because it is a different kind of chocolate or maybe it is the amount he has been eating, but he certainly has had a lot of wind since he started with them.

All I need to do now is find where he has hidden them :)

Last edited:

arielsmelody

Jul 16, 2015
I wonder if the chocolate from America has a sugar substitute in it or some other additive - I know I'm sensitive to sorbitol in sugar-free sweets.

If your mum cope with a small amount maybe make it a treat when she has visitors rather than leaving it with her when she might eat too much.

Bear44

Sep 28, 2015
USA
I wonder if the chocolate from America has a sugar substitute in it or some other additive - I know I'm sensitive to sorbitol in sugar-free sweets.

If your mum cope with a small amount maybe make it a treat when she has visitors rather than leaving it with her when she might eat too much.
It all depends on what kind of chocolate it is. I live in the USA

sinkhole

Jan 28, 2015
American chocolate is awful stuff, IMO, but not wanting to offend the many U.S. contributors on here, I do realise that if you've been brought up on the stuff, you may find European chocolate funny tasting.

The cocoa content in American chocolates is much less than here. There is usually more sugar in it and they use a cocoa butter substitute called PGPR (polyglycerol polyricinoleate), an emulsifier made from castor beans.

They also add vegetable oil, corn syrup and modified milk to increase yield, shelf-life and reduce costs. Sugar-free chocolates may contain Mannitol or similar substitutes.

It is feasible one or more of these ingredients could act as a laxative or cause a digestive problem. If regular chocolate like this is causing an issue, my view would be to try very small amounts of high cocoa content dark chocolate, which will give a nice chocolate 'hit' without all the additives.

I know some people don't like that sort of dark, bitter chocolate, but it's better than cutting it out completely I would have thought.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011

I wouldn't worry about the staff, with the greatest respect that is their job. Keep the worry for mum lol and if she wants chocolate then you are right don't take it away from her. Ask for the GP to check her out to make sure there is not another problem that is being blamed on chocolate!

Bear44

Sep 28, 2015
USA
American chocolate is awful stuff, IMO, but not wanting to offend the many U.S. contributors on here, I do realise that if you've been brought up on the stuff, you may find European chocolate funny tasting.

The cocoa content in American chocolates is much less than here. There is usually more sugar in it and they use a cocoa butter substitute called PGPR (polyglycerol polyricinoleate), an emulsifier made from castor beans.

They also add vegetable oil, corn syrup and modified milk to increase yield, shelf-life and reduce costs. Sugar-free chocolates may contain Mannitol or similar substitutes.

It is feasible one or more of these ingredients could act as a laxative or cause a digestive problem. If regular chocolate like this is causing an issue, my view would be to try very small amounts of high cocoa content dark chocolate, which will give a nice chocolate 'hit' without all the additives.

I know some people don't like that sort of dark, bitter chocolate, but it's better than cutting it out completely I would have thought.
I completely agree European chocolate is way better. I buy European chocolate all the time lol

betsie

Jun 11, 2012
Hi
I think chocolate can be a laxative. Especially if eaten in large amounts. Could you take her in biscuits or a piece of cake instead?

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
Idk witch one is better European or American chocolate. I like Lindt and Hershey.

I don't see a reason for life without pleasure. Eating is a pleasure. If your mother likes chocolate, say to staff to check her more frequently.

AnneED

Feb 19, 2012
East Yorkshire UK
Will use that as an excuse to eat more chocolate myself, I think! A substitute which is vaguely similar is carob (bars in health food shops) but you may not get away with it.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I'm a bit of a chocoholic and on occasion I have bought chocolate at lunch time, meaning to bring it home for the kids and then eaten it all. And then in the evening had the runs. So maybe if they are eating a lot of chocolate because they can't remember what they've had it could be a trigger. Maybe take them in with you and let them have one or two.

Ask the care home staff why they've said this as well. Maybe leave them with chocolate biscuits?

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
I know it's off topic, but I am American, and agree that standard issue American chocolate (Hershey's, et cetera) is terrible stuff, but I know plenty of people (also American) who would disagree.

I do wonder about a chocolate biscuit instead, if she would enjoy it as well?

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Will use that as an excuse to eat more chocolate myself, I think! A substitute which is vaguely similar is carob (bars in health food shops) but you may not get away with it.

you definitely would not get away with it if it was me lol....chocolate or nothing - well actually chocolate or chocolate. I have even been known to eat the childrens' easter eggs !!!!

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
Maybe try cutting it out for a week and see if it makes a difference?If not a trip to the Dr might be in order.If it does I would look for another treat.I wouldn't feed anyone something that regularly had that effect,it can't be pleasant for her.BTW well done for your considerate attitude towards the staff.They are after all human beings doing a difficult,underpaid and often little appreciated job

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mshaw6