Chief Execs Have Lower Dementia Risk Than Farmers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I think there is some very complex genetics involved too. My husband's mum had AD but hers was the more usual type, no short term memory, wandering, not recognizing others. His two younger brothers have no diagnosis of any form of dementia as yet but both really struggle with short term memory problems. One leaves his list of things to do on the kettle because he knows he will find it when he makes a cup of tea. One of them is waiting for his appointment at the memory clinic.

OH has only just started to lose his short term memory but can't remember the first thirty years of his life and is quite paranoid.

I am the youngest of five, my oldest brother being 87. I am not aware of any dementia in our family, both immediate and extended.

Why his family and not mine? We have all lived very different lives and I think it would be fair to say that both his family and mine seem to be well self directed individuals who have all enjoyed their careers.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I've also read studies saying it's not just about using your brain but the way you use your brain. I.e. it's not just down to education level.

Having an enquiring mind, being open to new ideas, new tech, new anything, learning new things, being involved in modern life - all these aspects are supposed to be important.

We've all met old people who haven't done anything new since they were 40, people who are closed-minded and very set in their ways. Perhaps these are the ones at risk? And (I hope) we've also met old people who seem to just sparkle with their zest for life. Are they safer? Is this about the power of positive thinking?
My husband was a great believer in the power of positive thinking. He read books about it, sprouted quotes at me trying to prove that it was the answer to everybody's problems. Sadly it didn't solve his.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I used to work for a consultant pathologist, a very clever man who also wrote books and travelled extensively but he got dementia so I suspect that anyone can get it.

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
I suspect dementia is multi factorial such as genetics, mental health, diet, job role possible exposure to chemicals or how much stimulation, social life or lack of, hearing problems and possible head injuries Etc.
This is no doubt why it is so difficult to find a treatment to halt progress or even a cure.
Better screening and treatment could maybe prevent some cases of vascular dementia. Better treatments for depression could make a difference too. That would all involve looking at the bigger picture.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
If you're looking at the bigger picture, don't forget the (very interesting) studies into the effects of the gut biome, which seems to be really important, not just with dementia but other diseases too...

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
Personally I'd like to see more research into the link between delirium and dementia.
I firmly believe that Mum's dementia was precipitated by delirium. I know the accepted view is that there was already an underlying dementia and that delirium merely "uncovers" it - but Mum never showed any symptoms at all. I know others who have had the same experience.
Regardless, we all know that delirium can result in a massive and permanent downturn in those already diagnosed - often resulting in the need for 24hr care. From articles that I have read in the last 4years, delirium is still poorly diagnosed and poorly managed.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dad was the only one with dementia in our family and he was a telephone engineer. However he also diabetes type 2 which was well controlled and he was also deaf.

MaNaAk

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I think the article is too simplistic in its' study report and conclusion...We probably all know or know of people with dementia in all sorts of jobs, my dad retired as a Director at BT having worked his way up from a 16 yr old lab technician in the old GPO Telephones, a very clever man, also used his brain post retirement in many different stimulating ways but developed mixed dementia which as it was vascular and AZ may well have been in part due to his heart history.

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
Delirium, infections and general anaesthetics do often seem to be a trigger often when there have been no discernible signs prior.
I’m not aware of any attempts to treat delirium with my dad on at least 4 occasions.
Apparently it’s antibiotics for infections, fluids and electrolytes for dehydration and antipsychotic drugs.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Having a mentally stimulating job in the
Second half of your career help stave
off dementia, a study has found.

Doctors and chief executives could be 23
Per cent less likely than those who have
Roles such as farm labours to develop
the condition, researchers say.

Brilliant
When I think of the number of times I have been told my Comments doesn’t conform with TP rules. :mad: , I now read on TP the disgraceful statement against people such farm labours or people in less valued jobs o_O :eek:

{ not sure who they are actually targeting because there are equal numbers of male & female’s with dementia but I don’t know of very many female farm labours }

As a person who’s both parents had dementia with 22 years of having dementia my self I find this very Degrading Offensive Insulting and Humiliating. :mad:

ps having worked in an Office for 25 years with some 800 employees and seen a few Chief Executives and Senior Managers and believe me they are not so bright :p:D

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
Delirium, infections and general anaesthetics do often seem to be a trigger often when there have been no discernible signs prior.
I’m not aware of any attempts to treat delirium with my dad on at least 4 occasions.
Apparently it’s antibiotics for infections, fluids and electrolytes for dehydration and antipsychotic drugs.
I think it needs to be more pro-active.
Some situations e.g hip fracture, seem to be common triggers, particularly in over 75's. Perhaps these patients should be treated as if they will develop delirium, rather than waitng to see if they do. From what I've read, the ideal is to keep patients orientated to place and time, in a quiet place, with undisturbed sleep. Sound like a hospital ward to you?
Cambridge University did a study in 2012 :https://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news...ing-new-dementia-eight-fold-in-older-patients

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
Hip fracture was definitely the trigger for my dad. There had been some subtle changes after my mum died 14 months before this.
@Countryboy I don’t think the study was intending to be derogatory to anyone who had a manual type of job. Those with lower paid jobs tend to have worse health outcomes in general due to multiple factors such as poorer diet and housing, more financial pressures.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I know of a former solicitor with Alzheimers but with a history of other health issues as well.

MaNaAk

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hip fracture was definitely the trigger for my dad. There had been some subtle changes after my mum died 14 months before this.
@Countryboy I don’t think the study was intending to be derogatory to anyone who had a manual type of job. Those with lower paid jobs tend to have worse health outcomes in general due to multiple factors such as poorer diet and housing, more financial pressures.
Hi Melles Belles sorry to hear about your dad, but I stand by my comments and I’ tell you why I think it far to Insensitive to be allowed on a web site that is meant to help and support those unfortunate people diagnosed with dement bearing in mind majority of those with dementia are 80+ years olds would have been borne during the second world war would have been on food rationing :eek: we didn't have the NHS until 1948 majority of very people you said were on : { lower paid jobs tend to have worse health outcomes in general due to multiple factors such as poorer diet and housing, more financial pressures }. yes but there was nothing else

I lived in a village in 1940's during second world war still in same village today o_O I had to work on farm from age of 6 by the time I was 9 hardly attend school because I was milking 6 cows morning and eving by hand most and during winter in the dark becasuse we didn’t have mains water we didn't electricity that came to us early 1950’s yes I do find it derogatory actually insulting to say my having dementia is because I’m a THICKO :mad:

Melles Belles if I was to talk about someones gender , colour , or race TP would remove my comments immediately but it seems ok to degrade the person with dementia if anything get removed it will be my comments ;):D

Last edited:

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hi Melles Belles sorry to hear about you dad, but I stand by my comments and I’ tell you why I think it far to Insensitive to be allowed on a web site that is meant to help and support those unfortunate people diagnosed with dement bearing in mind majority of those with dementia are 80+ years olds would have been borne during the second world war would have been on food rationing :eek: we didn't have the NHS until 1948 majority of very people you said were on : { lower paid jobs tend to have worse health outcomes in general due to multiple factors such as poorer diet and housing, more financial pressures }. yes but there was nothing else

I lived in a village in 1940's during second world war I had to work on farm at age of 6 by the time I 9 hardly attend school because I was milking 6 cows morning and eving by hand most of time in darness becasuse we didn’t have mains water we didn't electricity that came to us early 1950’s yes I do find it derogatory actually insulting to say my having dementia is because I’m a THICKO :mad:

Melles Belles if I was to talk about someone gender , colour , or race it would the thread would be removed immediately but its ok to degrade the person with dementia if anything get removed it will be my comments ;):D
I'm very sorry @Countryboy and I've actually found one two people worked above me to be bullies.

MaNaAk

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
@Countryboy you are very eloquent and most certainly NOT thick. You were deprived of a full education you were entitled too as I expect a number of children were at that time. My gran was born in the 1890s on a farm and she had to deliver milk before she walked 2 miles to the station to get the train to school and she had to deliver milk after school too. She was lucky her father let her go the grammar school (and I think he paid the school fees). The other siblings weren’t so lucky and all had to work indoors or out on the farm. They were also more fortunate than many other children at that time, because living on a farm they were well fed whilst hundreds of thousands of others were not.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Hi Melles Belles sorry to hear about your dad, but I stand by my comments and I’ tell you why I think it far to Insensitive to be allowed on a web site that is meant to help and support those unfortunate people diagnosed with dement bearing in mind majority of those with dementia are 80+ years olds would have been borne during the second world war would have been on food rationing :eek: we didn't have the NHS until 1948 majority of very people you said were on : { lower paid jobs tend to have worse health outcomes in general due to multiple factors such as poorer diet and housing, more financial pressures }. yes but there was nothing else

I lived in a village in 1940's during second world war still in same village today o_O I had to work on farm from age of 6 by the time I was 9 hardly attend school because I was milking 6 cows morning and eving by hand most and during winter in the dark becasuse we didn’t have mains water we didn't electricity that came to us early 1950’s yes I do find it derogatory actually insulting to say my having dementia is because I’m a THICKO :mad:

Melles Belles if I was to talk about someones gender , colour , or race TP would remove my comments immediately but it seems ok to degrade the person with dementia if anything get removed it will be my comments ;):D
I think that many of the comments on here are more in agreement with you than not. The quotes came from a study that most of us thought was useless when talking about the causes of dementia.

There were thousands of people like you who suffered dreadfully during the war but not all of them got dementia which to me highlights the point that we need to look more deeply into these issues of diet, health care etc. Obviously, people cannot be blamed for getting dementia but our social structure sometimes prevents people from getting help when they need it and that applies to a lot of other health conditions.

My husband is about your age and lived in the UK during wartime. His two siblings are much younger so had a very different childhood but are showing signs of developing AD too. One was a successful tradesman and the other worked very hard and retired at the age of 45. None of that study explains anything of value that would contribute to our knowledge of dementia.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Yes it is a useless report my dad was a manager at BT like @love.dad.but.. 's dad and in Malaysia he ran a training school for telephone engineers but he still developed Alzheimers.

MaNaAk

Status
Not open for further replies.