Chief Execs Have Lower Dementia Risk Than Farmers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
@Countryboy you raise a good point about males and females. I read that worldwide, nearly twice as many women get dementia as men. Women generally live a couple of years longer but this does not account for the huge gap between male and female sufferers. I've read studies that relate the change in hormones in women during/after menopause to the onset of dementia.

Mind you, I've read studies on all sorts of things. Some seem promising whilst others seem to want to 'blame' the person in some way and for any number of reasons, e.g. you smoked, you were in the wrong socio-economic group, you had a poor diet, you didn't exercise, you were overweight, you were closed-minded, even you weren't married to a positive person.

Most of us when caring for a PWD have heard various 'well-meaning comments' along these lines. One person I told of mum's diagnosis actually told me, 'She'll be fine - she just needs to do some sudoku.' Apparently it has the power to fix brains :(

Don't be upset @Countryboy - no one's having a go at you. On the contrary, we admire your incredible resilience... :)

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi Jaded”n”faded thanks for the kind words but although I have dementia I’ve always been mentally strong and made my own decisions I very rarely compare myself to others actually I’m a very aggressive person so none of this bothers me personally, However on Talking Point forum there are only a small minority of TP members with Dementia who actually reading / posting on this forum so my response to this particular thread about farm labours was hopefully standing up for and supporting all those elderly dementia suffers borne in 1930’s /40’s regards dementia and diet food wise well we didn’t go short on the farm , alcohol I’m almost 79 never drank a beer in my life I did smoke from age of 18 to about 30 so only 12 years probably at bit overweight though :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman