Chewing

hvml

Oct 10, 2015
North Cornwall
Quick question. My Dad chews and chews and chews every mouthful of food, even porridge. Is this usual for someone with dementia? I'm sure he hasn't always done it. Often, he chews himself to sleep.

Mannie

Mar 13, 2014
Bracknell area
Quick question. My Dad chews and chews and chews every mouthful of food, even porridge. Is this usual for someone with dementia? I'm sure he hasn't always done it. Often, he chews himself to sleep.

Suggest ask his Community Psychiatric Nurse for advice. He might be affecting his teeth or causing headaches, so would be worth following up.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
My husband does exactely the same. His food is puréed and he will chew puréed carrot, broccoli and heaven help us if the mashed potato has a small lump in it, he will chew for ever and a day. It can take over an hour to feed him the smallest lunch. He will never take another spoonful until his mouth is completely empty.

When not eating he appears to have his tongue to the side and is chewing it.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Does he perhaps forget that he has to swallow?

You could try gently stroking where his neck meets his chin to stimulate the swallow.

Wendy C

Jan 29, 2012
West Midlands
My Mom chews her food for ages and even chews her drinks. She keeps the last mouthful of food and drink in her mouth and chews and chews. Part of this awful disease I am afraid :(

Bill Owen

Feb 17, 2014
BRIDGEND
quick question. My dad chews and chews and chews every mouthful of food, even porridge. Is this usual for someone with dementia? I'm sure he hasn't always done it. Often, he chews himself to sleep.

my wife also chews and chews and chews.not like her .due to her mine not working has it shod .sorry im dislix .

hvml

Oct 10, 2015
North Cornwall
Thanks Bill for putting my mind at rest that it's not just my Dad. I never knew it was part of the dementia. He always really enjoys his food, but I try to make sure I stay with him when he is eating, as I worry he will fall asleep and choke.

hvml

Oct 10, 2015
North Cornwall
So lots of people do it. I must keep an eye on it. He sometimes wonders how I managed to finish so quickly. Opposite ends of the scale. I always feel lucky that he is so appreciative of my cooking :)

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
My father chewed and chewed and would just sit there holding food in his mouth for a long time and it was before we understood that he had dementia. My Mother would yell across the table 'For Goodness' sake, SWALLOW!' And then he would, so in hindsight he was probably forgetting to swallow. It never got any worse though, just stayed the same.

Poor Dad, he couldn't help it. Now it's Mum's turn with dementia, and sometimes she is the one we have to remind to swallow...