Chewing aids

Diva's Daughter

Apr 20, 2017
Hi there, I'm a Newbie

Does anyone have experience of people with vascular dementia biting and chewing cushions, cables etc? Have you used autism chew aids to help ?
All advice very welcome, thank you.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Have you had their teeth checked? Could they verbalise toothache?

A dry flannel would be more appropriate than cushions.
Better quality dog chewy toys maybe more readily avalible than fancy autism ones, and more age appropriate than baby toys.

ignis

Feb 12, 2013
Fife
chewing cushions

Hey there Diva's Daughter.
My mum's dementia is at an advanced stage and she has no speach and cannot walk she also doesn't actually chew - she has only one tooth. She puts everything that she can into her mouth and sucks on it. Her right index finger is her favourite and the skin became discoloured and wrinkled. I bought her an autistic friendly chew toy from Amazon. It's the second one as the care home lost the first one. It suits her needs perfectly. She can hold it herself and it is really soothing rather like a baby with a "dummy" there are different types some are more robust for vigorous chewers and there are lots of different shapes and colours.

Ark Therapeutic Krypto-Bite Chewable Gem Necklace Chewelry Soft Magenta is the name of our one. I'd certainly recommend that you have a look at what's available. They can be very useful.

Diva's Daughter

Apr 20, 2017
Thank you ! I bought an Ark Grabber XXT but she still loves to
eat the arms of armchairs, fabric and vinyl. She won't stop and is at risk of being asked to leave her home which is breaking my heart .I am totally overwhelmed by the frustration from working with all the external agencies trying to unpick WHY she is chewing and biting. #barriers

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Diva's Daughter

Apr 20, 2017

Better quality dog chewy toys maybe more readily avalible than fancy autism ones, and more age appropriate than baby toys.

Thank you! Yes, I'm on an odyssey of discovery to stop the chewing and biting.some
People have been so nice but mainly met brick walls

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I am totally overwhelmed by the frustration from working with all the external agencies trying to unpick WHY she is chewing and biting.

Its called pica and although its sometimes caused by iron deficiency, or used as a mechanism to reduce stress, it can also be associated with dementia due to hyperorality - ie they put things into their mouths and bite/explore them just like a baby does. Its quite a rare thing, but is sometimes seen with dementia that affects the frontal lobes.

Could you put towels over the arms of the chairs so that she chews them instead?

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton

Jessbow, I wouldn't recommend using dog chew toys for humans as they are more likely to deteriorate and bits could be inhaled or ingested. I also doubt their manufacturing process would pass safety regulations for humans. Those specifically made for people with autism are a much safer option and not simply a fancier one. My daughter has used these for her son with Aspergers and they were very successful.

I'm glad you are finding them useful Ignis. Diva's daughter, I really hope you can find help for your poor mother. It is so sad when help seems unavailable. Very best wishes.

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
Hi there, I'm a Newbie

Does anyone have experience of people with vascular dementia biting and chewing cushions, cables etc? Have you used autism chew aids to help ?
All advice very welcome, thank you.

I bought an autism chew for my husband, from (Amz) £14. Also some baby soft fluffy squares with animal heads in the centre from P.mart £3. They are all good, he rubs the soft material over his lips, sucks the head, and chews the P shaped blue autistic chew. He loves both. I think the soft one are nice for him, and much cheaper. I put a waterproof apron on him, as the chewing and sucking tends to make a lot of saliva, it stops his shirt getting wet. Good luck. M xxx :)

Attachments

• P1080473.jpg
    P1080473.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 678