Chest infection and Difficulty in walking

sue_1

Mar 29, 2017
Bristol
Mum started to feel a bit unwell Wednesday evening and went to bed early, by Thursday morning it was quite obvious that she has a chest infection, mum was breathing very rapidly and wheezing plus could not get to bathroom or change her pull ups and was very warm to the touch, doctor was called who prescribed antibiotics and said she had a chest infection, mum is not really coughing a lot but she is really struggling to walk even with her walker or Carer help. Mum has been furniture walking for a while now but refused to use a stick or walker in the house so for her to want her walker is very unlike her. Mums temperature has gone back to normal but she just can not walk without difficulty and it looks as if her legs are just going to crumple beneath her is this normal with a chest infection ? There is no way she can come downstairs at the moment to be honest if she did I don’t think she would manage to get back up. Has mum now lost her ability to walk? I really do not know what to think or what to do for the best can anyone give me some advice? We do not have a loo downstairs and house is far to small to have one installed and no privacy downstairs for a commode,

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Infections of any sort, but especially chest infections and UTIs play havok with people who have dementia. The dementia symptoms are always much worse while they have the infection and often for a good while afterwards too. You may well find that the ability to walk comes back.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
The antibiotics are unlikely to have fully cleared the infection in such a short time.

Hopefully you will see a return to 'normal' in another few days.