Cheering up new room - any suggestions?

Imstressedout

Jun 6, 2019
Dad is moving into a new care home and they are encouraging us to make it as homely as possible. I will be taking photos and some pictures but wonder what others have done. In his hospital room he could see a tree and he loved to watch it move in the wind. Does anyone have any suggestions of things that may be suitable? Thanks

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Does your Dad have any favourite keepsakes that you could take in - but don't take anything in that would upset you if it got lost or broken. Suncatchers for the window, does he have a TV in his room - we got one for Mum, and on the occasions that she is in bed the staff put it on for her, we did leave a note of what her favourite programmes were, a radio, although some radio programmes you can get via the TV. We have also taken in flowers/plants - although they are artificial they do brighten Mum's room up.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
When mum moved into her care home I took some photos to put on her walls - dont send originals in case they go missing or get destroyed - make copies and send them in frames with plastic instead of glass. I also put up a couple of her pictures, got a throw for her bed and some cushions for the chair. Mums care home would allow furniture as well - they took the attitude of - if will fit in the room it can go in the room, so I also took a small bedside cabinet and a chest of drawers from her bedroom. My daughter made mum a family tree, which mum never looked at, but it helped the carers, and I brought in a couple of large cuddly toys, which mum disdained, but I caught her talking to!! I also made a montage of pictures to go on the front of her door with her name in bold letters, so that she would recognise it.

Make sure that everything you send is labelled with your dads name and dont send anything irreplaceable or valuable as things in dementia homes tend to do the rounds and sometimes cant be found at all.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Watching trees move in the wind is a bit of a clue, it's a bit like people watching.

Any chance you could set up a mirror so that, when in his favourite place in the room, he could see outside activity?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Whether a mirror is a good idea depends on whether they still recognise themselves in the mirror, or whether they think its someone spying on them, or get upset about their appearance.
I noticed that mums care home had no mirrors in it at all - not even over the washbasins

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Agree about potential problems with mirrors.
At the correct angle they could not see themselves in the mirror, just a view of life outside.

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
If on the ground floor what about a bird table outside? A resident at mums care home has one & besides the birds it also attracts a cheeky squirrel & a couple of pheasants which are all interesting to watch.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I have rather held off from doing this at my wife's home as anything not nailed down tends to get put into her handbag. There is an elephant in the room, a soft toy that my wife bought many years ago. I have placed it on top of the wardrobe where it always was in her room at home. There is an old sun-faded print of Paris that she likes so I might take that to hang on one of the spare picture hangers. I definitely will not be putting a mirror up.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I bought a mirror for my mother's room then realised it was a bad idea, so it's currently in our spare room. Her CH suggest bringing own curtains and bedding, I didn't bother with curtains but I bought her a duvet plus two sets of bright cheerful covers. She has photos of her cats and a large photo montage with the family's names and ages written on (more for the carers than for her, not sure she recognises any one). The thing she loves most is her array of cuddly toys (some hers, some not). She has a nice view of trees and other landscape which she used to comment favourably on, but I'm not sure she notices it now.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I took my dad his own bedspread to put over the duvet they used as dad didn't like duvets. I also made copies of photos, took a few pictures he'd had on the wall at home and a few books. He never read the books but they looked nice on the shelves.

Imstressedout

Jun 6, 2019
I took my dad his own bedspread to put over the duvet they used as dad didn't like duvets. I also made copies of photos, took a few pictures he'd had on the wall at home and a few books. He never read the books but they looked nice on the shelves.
Thank you so much for your suggestions. The mirror one was brilliant but I will check with CH first. Suncatchers are a great idea. HE doesn’t have any particular keepsakes I’m aware of. Picture a good idea too (if only to help the carers!). He watches the same dvds of WW2 and particularly the Ghurkas. I was at a military display today and bought dad a charity ghurka bear which has the added benefit of giving to charity he loves. Loved. I’m looking forward to giving it to him. Thanks again everyone x