Checking In

Jean1234

Mar 19, 2015
Hi everyone
Just checking in. We had a visit from the nurse from the memory clinic on Thursday. She was very nice, checked my OH over and asked lots of questions. She then handed over his next months prescription which had increased the strength of the donepezil from 5mg to 10mg. I hadn't realised that they start with a lower dose then increase it! We were so happy that he had been able to take the tablets without any side effects and thought that was it, now we have to keep our fingers crossed that he can take the stronger dose.

She also told us that there was a Get together meeting run in our area twice a month for people with the early stages of Alzheimer's and their carers when I told her that I had decided that the Alzheimer's cafe run in the area might not be suitable and probably frighten him. We are going along to the next meeting to see what it is all about. If nothing else I should be able to pick up information of where we go from here.

Today my OH has been more like his old self and am wondering if it is the tablets taking effect as they say on the info that they take two or more weeks to work and he has now been on them for three weeks.

I come on to TP every evening to read the posts and take great comfort from it, although for some reason I am finding it difficult to respond to any of the posts. I must be doing something wrong.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Hi Jean,

My OH was diagnosed with AD over a year ago and was put on donepezil on the lower dose initially and then the higher dose. It worked very well in that he was able to deal with his confusion more effectively and there was a marked reduction in his paranoia which was a blessing.

However, he did suffer some tummy problems with it and this happens with some people so it is very much an individual thing. The geriatrician switched him to rivastigmine which comes in patches and this has eliminated the tummy troubles and he continues to do well on this too.

So I hope that it works well for you and that you continue to check in on TP. There are a lot of posts that I read but don't feel the need to comment as OH is still fairly independent and we haven't yet reached crisis point though I am sure it will come.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Jean, I am very happy for you that you are going to try the cafe. At worst you will get a cup of tea and at best you will enjoy the company and go again. If that is successful you might want to try some of the other groups over time. This will give you other people to talk with and get your husband used to sharing your company.

As he gets further down the road you may want to use day centres and if he is accustomed to this type of company it will be easier on both of you. My advice is never to turn down an opportunity to do something new not because you need it right now but because you might need it badly later on.

Very good wishes.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Jean, I am very happy for you that you are going to try the cafe. At worst you will get a cup of tea and at best you will enjoy the company and go again. If that is successful you might want to try some of the other groups over time. This will give you other people to talk with and get your husband used to sharing your company.

As he gets further down the road you may want to use day centres and if he is accustomed to this type of company it will be easier on both of you. My advice is never to turn down an opportunity to do something new not because you need it right now but because you might need it badly later on.

Very good wishes.

Jean, when my husband was prescribed Aricept, we found it gave us a good 2 to 3 years where his symptoms stayed on a even keel. I feel it strengthened the stage he was at, before things eventually deteriorated.

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
My husband has been taking Aricept (Donepezil) since he was diagnosed in 2003. He was fortunate in that he suffered no side-effects after the first tablet (some diarrhoea on Day 1, then nothing.)
I feel the drug helped us to live a good ten/eleven years with dementia. Not as it would have been without dementia, by any means -- I have had to take responsibility for just about everything as the years have gone on. But compared to some, we have been very fortunate. Only in the last year or two have we had to make significant changes to our lifestyle.
However!
It's difficult to know whether our good years are down to the drug, or the parts of his brain that have been affected/not affected, because of course I don't know how he would have been now if he hadn't taken the drug.
He is a gentle, easy-going chap who has always taken life's ups and downs and got on with it, with humour and co-operation. Dementia can change all that overnight, so I feel very blessed that it is not the case with my husband, most of the time.
I really do hope that you both benefit from your hubby taking the drug, and wish you well.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Gosh sleepless. That very much describes Bill and our experience, only he was diagnosed in 2001.

Jean1234 I wish you and your husband well. I hope the medication helps you both have as good a quality of life as possible.

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Gosh sleepless. That very much describes Bill and our experience, only he was diagnosed in 2001.

Jean1234 I wish you and your husband well. I hope the medication helps you both have as good a quality of life as possible.

I know, Izzy. I've often noticed similarities between our husbands. Somewhere on here today you mention Bill now sleeps on his back, never on his side.......ditto! My husband can't use a pen or pencil now to any good effect (unlike Bill) but he can still read. He was never an avid reader of books etc and so doesn't read in that sense, but lines from magazines, posters in shop windows, random script from just about anywhere, he reads out loud, which amazes me really.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Bill does that too! He will often read out a word or sign on a van or something. He can still read the words of the songs at choir.

He doesn't really write now but he can hold a pen to colour.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson