CHC - time point of decision - MDT or CCG?

Meanmum

Apr 14, 2017
Some advice please. I understand that until a CHC eligibility decision is made, the NHS funding continues. So at what point is this decision made - is it the MDT recommendation, or the CCG decision?
In my Dad's case, he is currently in a NHS assessment bed in a nursing home, funded for 4 weeks. The MDT assessment is 2 days before this funding runs out. If the decision point is the MDT recommendation, then we'll have to start paying in full from this point. However if the CCG decision is the key decision point, and they take more than 2 days, then NHS funding should be extended until this point.
Does this make sense? & can anyone advise? Thanks.

spbeagle

Oct 20, 2016
Some advice please. I understand that until a CHC eligibility decision is made, the NHS funding continues. So at what point is this decision made - is it the MDT recommendation, or the CCG decision?
In my Dad's case, he is currently in a NHS assessment bed in a nursing home, funded for 4 weeks. The MDT assessment is 2 days before this funding runs out. If the decision point is the MDT recommendation, then we'll have to start paying in full from this point. However if the CCG decision is the key decision point, and they take more than 2 days, then NHS funding should be extended until this point.
Does this make sense? & can anyone advise? Thanks.

My mother was in a similar position and in her case, following the initial assessment, the decision was that there should be a full assessment for CHC. She remains in the nursing home and her fees are being paid by the NHS, pending the full assessment. If the full assessment is that she is not eligible for CHC, we will have to repay the fees incurred after the first 4 weeks to the CCG. There has been a delay in the full assessment but as fees that they are paying are approx. £250 a week less that the self funding rate that works for Mum's advantage.

Meanmum

Apr 14, 2017
I'm actually not sure now if NHS funding continues until we get a CHC decision. Can anyone advise on this?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi meanmum
I'm afraid I don't know anything about CHC etc
but I know the folk on the helpline will have some info and contacts - maybe give them a call
0300 222 1122 or by email at helpline@alzheimers.org.uk.
•Helpline opening hours:
•Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
•Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
•Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm
best wishes