Chc question. Are we entitled???

Gg2

Jul 19, 2014
My father hasn't been assessed since July 2014 when it was decided he needed to go into 24 hour care. He was granted the £110 nursing benefit.

Since then he has deteriorated rapidly.
He needs assistance with eating and often tries to eat the spoon, blankets etc
He can't communicate at all
He is aggressive -has hit other residents and is difficult for staff to dress etc
He cannot put any weight on his legs
He has lost around 3 to 4 stone
He is now having his food blended
He won't take medication

I've asked the home to reassess him which they have done and was told it would be a few weeks before they came out to see him.

Does it sound like we might be entitled? Will this get backdated??

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
North Manchester
You best chance is to make sure everything is documented for use as evidence.

Make doubly sure that any events relating to 'He is aggressive...' are fully and clearly recorded.

Gg2

Jul 19, 2014
I've had a letter to say they are assessing him on 17th July and I should try to attend. I need to try and get time off work for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Gg2 - this might be useful if work is a problem for time off: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/Pages/employment-rights-for-carers-flexible-working-unpaid-leave.aspx

Fair way down the page in the section "What counts as an emergency" - I would hope that " When you need to make arrangements for the long-term care of someone you're looking after who is ill or injured (but this does not include giving them long-term care yourself)." - would include such an important meeting. (my bolding)

Good luck.