Chc question. Are we entitled???

Discussion in 'End of life care' started by Gg2, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Gg2

Gg2 Registered User

Jul 19, 2014
    My father hasn't been assessed since July 2014 when it was decided he needed to go into 24 hour care. He was granted the £110 nursing benefit.

Since then he has deteriorated rapidly.
    He needs assistance with eating and often tries to eat the spoon, blankets etc
    He can't communicate at all
    He is aggressive -has hit other residents and is difficult for staff to dress etc
    He cannot put any weight on his legs
    He has lost around 3 to 4 stone
    He is now having his food blended
    He won't take medication

I've asked the home to reassess him which they have done and was told it would be a few weeks before they came out to see him.

Does it sound like we might be entitled? Will this get backdated??

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

2. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    You best chance is to make sure everything is documented for use as evidence.

Make doubly sure that any events relating to 'He is aggressive...' are fully and clearly recorded.

3. Gg2

Gg2 Registered User

Jul 19, 2014
    I've had a letter to say they are assessing him on 17th July and I should try to attend. I need to try and get time off work for it.

4. CeliaW

CeliaW Registered User

Jan 29, 2009
    Hampshire
    Gg2 - this might be useful if work is a problem for time off: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/social...for-carers-flexible-working-unpaid-leave.aspx

Fair way down the page in the section "What counts as an emergency" - I would hope that " When you need to make arrangements for the long-term care of someone you're looking after who is ill or injured (but this does not include giving them long-term care yourself)." - would include such an important meeting. (my bolding)

Good luck.

5. Dustycat

Dustycat Registered User

Jul 14, 2014
    North East
    If he's deteriorating they can fast track it too. X

6. Gg2

Gg2 Registered User

Jul 19, 2014
    Thank you for your help