CHC, palliative care and care home choice

ambrogio

Dec 30, 2020
My mother has been awarded CHC funding, as she is now exceptionally unwell and currently in hospital after an infection. She has been assessed as needing palliative care but not as at end of life.

Can anyone help clarify re. CHC funding
1. Can we reject a care home that the hospital finds for my mother? If it's too far away, not good enough quality, has a poor reputation or CQC rating?
2. Can we 'top-up' the CHC funding with our own money to place my mother in a better care home?
3. CHC funding will cover care at home but only 4 double calls, 8am-8pm - but my mother needs 24/7 nursing care (dementia, blindness, challenging behaviour, incontinence, and a lot more). Is it possible to get CHC funding to care home care? It would be better for my mother to be in a care home but given that over 50% are currently closed due to Covid, it's hard to see how soon she can be discharged to a good care home.

I'm not an unintelligent person but the CHC side of things is totally unclear to me and the hospital is not communicating very well.

Any advice gratefully received, as ever, and I hope everyone is staying safe

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Can anyone help clarify re. CHC funding
1. Can we reject a care home that the hospital finds for my mother? If it's too far away, not good enough quality, has a poor reputation or CQC rating?
In the final analysis, no.
The amount of care your mother will need combined with covid closures there may not be a choice of homes,

2. Can we 'top-up' the CHC funding with our own money to place my mother in a better care home?
As per other NHS provisions, no.

3. CHC funding will cover care at home but only 4 double calls, 8am-8pm - but my mother needs 24/7 nursing care (dementia, blindness, challenging behaviour, incontinence, and a lot more). Is it possible to get CHC funding to care home care? It would be better for my mother to be in a care home but given that over 50% are currently closed due to Covid, it's hard to see how soon she can be discharged to a good care home.
CHC care is usually provided in a residential home although care at home is possible if a suitable care plan can be agreed.
Unlike residential care attendance allowance is not forfeited.

I'm not an unintelligent person but the CHC side of things is totally unclear to me and the hospital is not communicating very well.

The LA are also involved in finding a placement

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
We were granted CHC for dad at home because he was end of life with dementia and cancer. We muddled through with carer visits but it was not enough even with me being there 24/7 From the description of your mum anything less than 24/7 would not be enough. As she is not end of life I think a care home would be your best option.

It's a horrible situation.

ambrogio

Dec 30, 2020
Many thanks for these helpful answers
In the final analysis, no.
The amount of care your mother will need combined with covid closures there may not be a choice of homes,

As per other NHS provisions, no.

CHC care is usually provided in a residential home although care at home is possible if a suitable care plan can be agreed.

Unlike residential care attendance allowance is not forfeited.

The LA are also involved in finding a placement

ambrogio

Dec 30, 2020
We were granted CHC for dad at home because he was end of life with dementia and cancer. We muddled through with carer visits but it was not enough even with me being there 24/7 From the description of your mum anything less than 24/7 would not be enough. As she is not end of life I think a care home would be your best option.

It's a horrible situation.
Yes, I think we're in this situation - we have muddled through for long enough