CHC funding

yoyo

Sep 22, 2012
I finally let mum go into a home - mum has terrible anxiety, the sundowning is very difficult to manage and various meds have been trialed. mums had 2 very serious falls resulting in 2 massive bleeds on her left side of her brain, dr amazed that she has pulled through, but the pressure on her brain is affecting her behaviour and she is tearing nighties and extremely restless, early days yet but EMI nursing home have said they can't meet her needs. hospital have started CHC assessment which they think she'll get easily. but what about the home we are happy with it to a point, the only one to one care is over subscribed and SW is saying just wait until assessments are done.
how much funding does CHC cover? can we look for a home that costs more ? is CHC funding more than what SS fund.
I guess I'm looking to get the best for mum and if CHC funding can buy us somewhere with higher ratio of staff, or we can use mums pension to top it up.any advice will be appreciated x

wobbly

Feb 14, 2012
Mid Wales
hi yoyo, I didn't want to just read and run, so hello and I'm sorry you've had to join us in one way but you will find a lot of support here. I'm no expert but if your Mum is suitable for chc funding then as I undrstand it ALL fees are paid by the nhs and no ss funding is needed, plus you won't have to pay top ups, I'm not sure about moving etc and no doubt someone with a good bit more experience will be along soon to help.... :)

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Hi Yoyo

Welcome to TP. I am sorry to hear about your mum, but have come to a good place for advice.

CHC funding, when granted, covers all care home costs, nursing cost etc. The only extras I pay is for hairdressing and chiropody, plus personal items such as shower gel etc. Do not pay top ups!

When CHC funding is granted, the health authority need to know that your mum's needs are being met by the CH, so around here, they give give names of CHs for you or will need to approve your choice. The funding from CHC is higher because it covers nursing care too.

With CHC funding, the local authority have a contract with the CH for each individual, whereas the LA have blocks of beds.

I hope this helps, and good luck on you path.

Jan x

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014
I finally let mum go into a home - mum has terrible anxiety, the sundowning is very difficult to manage and various meds have been trialed. mums had 2 very serious falls resulting in 2 massive bleeds on her left side of her brain, dr amazed that she has pulled through, but the pressure on her brain is affecting her behaviour and she is tearing nighties and extremely restless, early days yet but EMI nursing home have said they can't meet her needs. hospital have started CHC assessment which they think she'll get easily. but what about the home we are happy with it to a point, the only one to one care is over subscribed and SW is saying just wait until assessments are done.
how much funding does CHC cover? can we look for a home that costs more ? is CHC funding more than what SS fund.
I guess I'm looking to get the best for mum and if CHC funding can buy us somewhere with higher ratio of staff, or we can use mums pension to top it up.any advice will be appreciated x

Hi yoyo

When my step mother was put in to care CHC funding covered everything except clothes, chiropody, hairdressing and toiletries.
My step mother was demanding an ice cream most mornings and we instructed the home to get her them from the shop opposite and to charge us for them.
The carers tended to go for them at the end of their break.
We took her something like a sausage roll and a glass of wine in the afternoon again an extra.
Normally the patient has to go in to a home in your local area on the CHC list.
There were no suitable homes in my step mother's area. About 50 assessed her and would not take her.
Eventually 2 said they could take her 1 about 30 miles away and another about 9 miles away.
Even though the one further away looked slightly better we took the nearer one so she would get a visitor every day.
Sadly my step mother passed away after 7 days in care.

A bit of advice. Get the CHC assessment done while the patient was in hospital.
The social worker wanted the bungalow she was living in sold to cover the fees.
The problem was I owned it.
The next step was they wanted to give social funding but they said there were no homes in the area at the councils usual rates which could meet her needs so a top up of £1,000 per month would be required.
The son and myself refused to pay. The social worker tried to put pressure on us saying she was violent and could kill a child if she was let out because of her strength and we would be responsible.
We knew we could not be sent to jail if my step mother did kill a child.
After a lot of argument CHC funding was agreed.

William

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
CHC cover the cost of care that is deemed necessary. It is up to the home and the CHC to come to an agreement and the contract is between them. The problem will arise when there is no home willing to care at the weekly rate CHC are willing to pay.

They turned down our first choice, chosen because of position and on our feel for the nursing home after several visits. CHC sent three further homes to assess him and when they had the reports back from these three homes they realised his care would be more than they estimated so we were given our first choice.

I am sure it came down to money. Our choice of home said they could care with 1:1 care provided for 12 hours. They had enough coverage to cover his needs for the other 12 hours because they have high staffing levels. The others had cheaper weekly rates but wanted 1:1 care covered for 24 hours, obviously not so well staffed. So putting cheaper weekly care plus double the cost for 1:1 care was probably the same cost of the higher weekly fees but lower 1:1 care. Swings and roundabouts really.

Jay

yoyo

Sep 22, 2012
thank you for your comments there is some advice in there that I didn't know. so I can look out for things now.
just going up to the hospital now- lets see what difference it makes now!! every day brings a different challenge - I will let you know how i go on. BTW I'm not completely new here and I agree the information is the best - and support through the night has been very comforting - thank you x

wobbly

Feb 14, 2012
Mid Wales
sorry yoyo, don't mind me, I should have looked at your profile...doh.....hope it goes as well as it can today or even better! :)

yoyo

Sep 22, 2012
sorry yoyo, don't mind me, I should have looked at your profile...doh.....hope it goes as well as it can today or even better! :)

no worries wobbly :) sister there at the min so I'm making my way now. CHC assessment will be done soon because mum is on an acute ward and they will want her off it. they are thinking of moving her to a psychiatric ward but not sure it will be safe for her. this way they can monitor her mads, they are going to stop all meds and see how she goes and then introduce something a little at a time. mementum was a med she was on but the home didn't tell the hospital so she hasn't had it for 9 days and that couldn't of helped her behaviour. if she was with me it wouldn't of been forgotten - maddening x

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014
CHC cover the cost of care that is deemed necessary. It is up to the home and the CHC to come to an agreement and the contract is between them. The problem will arise when there is no home willing to care at the weekly rate CHC are willing to pay.

They turned down our first choice, chosen because of position and on our feel for the nursing home after several visits. CHC sent three further homes to assess him and when they had the reports back from these three homes they realised his care would be more than they estimated so we were given our first choice.

I am sure it came down to money. Our choice of home said they could care with 1:1 care provided for 12 hours. They had enough coverage to cover his needs for the other 12 hours because they have high staffing levels. The others had cheaper weekly rates but wanted 1:1 care covered for 24 hours, obviously not so well staffed. So putting cheaper weekly care plus double the cost for 1:1 care was probably the same cost of the higher weekly fees but lower 1:1 care. Swings and roundabouts really.

Jay

I think it does come down to money.
We were told it was likely my step mother would be able to go there if I paid.
It was over £1,000 a week.
I just stuck to my guns and said the bungalow she was living in was mine and I was not paying.
Suddenly her CHC funding was approved.
I think the fact the hospital wanted its bed back contributed to it.

William

yoyo

Sep 22, 2012
Update

Spoken to SW yesterday and all evidence from medics show 1 TO 1 care so thats what we are going for to CHC, wish me luck folks and I'll keep you posted :) I love a battle !! using the legislation etc I don't mean fisty cuffs.
mum continues to improve against all the odds - just needs someone with her all the time to keep her clothes on and to stop her trying to get up and falling.
love this forum, there when no one else is :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JL513