CHC funding screening tips pls continuing healthcare

Mountain goat

Feb 14, 2016
I would be most grateful if you could give me some tips or your experience of CHC screen by a district nurse. Mums health has plummeted in last couple of months both her Alzheimer's & general health . In summary in this order Very low iron, side effects from respirodone including hunched over when walking and sitting, respirodone stopped, UTI and/or other infections approx 1 month, antibiotics one month, loss of nearly 2 stone in 1 month plus diarrohea, had many falls but now can hardly stand, hardly opens eyes and hardly says anything. She's just been referred for BOWEL CANCER tests. Her aggression sees to have gone. She is in respite care and doesn't have nurses there. Am sure if she did then her health wouldn't have drastically deteriorated so much. I need her to go into long term residential care .

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
You might find this thread helpful:

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?86059-CHC-(Continuing-Healthcare)-support-thread

You ask specifically about the DN and the screening (checklist). If the DN goes through this with you, you should try and mention the actual needs connected with each and every domain (topic). If the DN doesn't know a lot about your mum you must really fill in all the details and give a picture of your mum on her worst days.

Our DN did the checklist meticulously and my wife was eventually given CHC funding.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes please.

Welcome to TP!

Mountain goat

Feb 14, 2016
Thank you stanleypj . I have printed out the checklist etc and will fill out to be prepared for the assessment.

Mountain goat

Feb 14, 2016
Yippeeeeeee. We got through the CHC checklist screening. I had prepared lots of evidence by looking thru the files of the respite care home and writing down my observations from my diary . The district nurse was lovely and helpful and made the process more relaxing and informal than anticipated. I will do even more prep for the assessment as I anticipate they will try to mark down .

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I'm very pleased to hear it. It's excellent that the DN is supportive. Do you know who else will be at the assessment? If not, it's worth asking. Our DN was there as well and very helpful. You need to spend as much time as you can preparing. You will need even more detail than you had for the checklist but this looks like a very promising start.

dottyd

Jan 22, 2011
n.e.
We had a Dst meeting yesterday for mum. She is a self funded but we have been awarded CHC funding.

There's an excellent video by prof Luke clements.

It tells you pretty much all you need to know. I watched it twice. Made copious notes but unbeknown to me my secret ally was the care home supervisor who made it quite evident that they could not cope with her.
There was also a Dols in place.

In our case 2+2 = 4

Watch the video and give lots of examples of intense, complex and unpredictable needs. Especially where one domain overlaps into another.

I'll find the link for you.

dottyd

Jan 22, 2011
n.e.
Here it is. I watched it twice and wrote notes. Don't rush it. The history of the law is very interesting and gives you a good background of why things that seem beyond our comprehension happen and if social care continue to act for a patient who has needs above and beyond their remit, they are acting....UNLAWFULLY!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HrpFLLwGqhs

Mountain goat

Feb 14, 2016
Hello my dear supporters . It was the first time I had met the DN. For The full assessment I know the Social W, GP, Alzheimer's doc , the same DN and the person in charge of CHC have been invited but I don't have a date yet. The CHC person went to the respite home to look thru files yesterday.

I will look at the video. Also I have heard you can get 90 mins free support over the phone.With beacon. I'm not allowed to post the link tho.

What is a Dols?

I have been distracted by a hospital appointment today to investigate the weight loss and 2 months of diarrhoea but the doc doesn't want to investigate further as it would be too cruel !!!!!! . I have persuaded him to try to do a CT Scan but doesn't think she will keep still and there is no anaesthetist present to sedate her. It was brutal how blunt he was saying as she has Terminal Alzheimer's surgery wouldn't improve the quality of life.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson