CHC Funding Reviews

SoAlone

May 19, 2016
Devon
Hi again,
Does anyone have experience of ongoing CHC funding reviews? My OH has recently entered a Care Home with full CHC funding. I am given to understand, that because his discharge was from the General Hospital he will be reviewed again in 6 weeks and then on a regular basis. Can anyone advise how these reviews work and any problems encountered. From speaking to the Home Manager I understand that it is possible his funding status will change several times over the progression of the Dementia and other Nursing needs

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
CHC is usually reviewed after 3 months.

Are you sure the funding is CHC and not reablement, also known as 'intermediate care', which is free care (residential or at home) for up to 6 weeks with the aim of getting the patient back to the state they were in before an acute event..

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
My husband received CHC funding with 1:1 care for 4 years. He was reviewed every twelve months and I was always present at the review. Some domains were marked down others went up and some entered the area of counting towards the CHC funding. It was never withdrawn. His 1:1 was reviewed frequently and as his mobility lessened so did his 1:1. Once bedbound 1:1 ceased.

SoAlone

May 19, 2016
Devon
CHC is usually reviewed after 3 months.

Are you sure the funding is CHC and not reablement, also known as 'intermediate care', which is free care (residential or at home) for up to 6 weeks with the aim of getting the patient back to the state they were in before an acute event..

Hi Nitram, I don't know. Whole thing has been confused a bit because, OH was in a Dementia Assessment Unit, where CHC funding was granted for his Nursing Home placement. Unfortunately the 1st placement went badly wrong and after only 4 days he was admitted to A&E and a 4 week stay in the General Hospital followed while another suitable placement was found. He has now been 2 weeks in the new Nursing Home and is settling much better and the care and staff are good. I have had a letter stating that CHC funding has been granted for care in both homes. The bit about 6 weeks came from the General Hospital, intermediate care may be what they mean. Quite honestly the Discharge Team conduct was so bad we have put in a formal complaint. Nursing care was really good though no concerns there. Thanks for your input, might clarify when anyone gets in touch about a review

SoAlone

May 19, 2016
Devon
My husband received CHC funding with 1:1 care for 4 years. He was reviewed every twelve months and I was always present at the review. Some domains were marked down others went up and some entered the area of counting towards the CHC funding. It was never withdrawn. His 1:1 was reviewed frequently and as his mobility lessened so did his 1:1. Once bedbound 1:1 ceased.

Thank you Jaymor, we had 1:1 funding for the 1st week only. But it would be nice if it is a few months before review to give him time to stabilise in the Nursing Home

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If you have documentation to say he has got CHC for the home he is now in forget the 6 weeks, somebody has their wires crossed.
CHC is usually reviewed after 3 months and then annually unless there is a dramatic decline requiring considerable extra care.
Reviewing people at 6 weeks would further clog up an already overloaded system.

SoAlone

May 19, 2016
Devon
If you have documentation to say he has got CHC for the home he is now in forget the 6 weeks, somebody has their wires crossed.
CHC is usually reviewed after 3 months and then annually unless there is a dramatic decline requiring considerable extra care.
Reviewing people at 6 weeks would further clog up an already overloaded system.

Thanks Nitram, that is a great help.

Lima

Aug 9, 2018
Hi again,
Does anyone have experience of ongoing CHC funding reviews? My OH has recently entered a Care Home with full CHC funding. I am given to understand, that because his discharge was from the General Hospital he will be reviewed again in 6 weeks and then on a regular basis. Can anyone advise how these reviews work and any problems encountered. From speaking to the Home Manager I understand that it is possible his funding status will change several times over the progression of the Dementia and other Nursing needs

Hi there, Yes that is correct. My dear friend had her CHC funding revoked while she was in hospital this month with a broken hip. She has now been discharged back to her care home with no 1: 1 care any more. The whole thing is more than upsetting . . . . I suggest you try to get the community psychiatric team on your side together with the hospital social worker co-ordinating your OH's care. They are the people who can trigger another assessment of his care needs and can re-instate the funding.

Lima

Aug 9, 2018
Hi everyone, I'm Lima and I'm caring for my friend Maria who has had variant PCA for 10 years. She is now in a care home and the care leaves a lot to be desired . . . . She is profoundly depressed and not allowed to go out at all . . . . :(

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
Hi there, Yes that is correct. My dear friend had her CHC funding revoked while she was in hospital this month with a broken hip. She has now been discharged back to her care home with no 1: 1 care any more. The whole thing is more than upsetting . . . . I suggest you try to get the community psychiatric team on your side together with the hospital social worker co-ordinating your OH's care. They are the people who can trigger another assessment of his care needs and can re-instate the funding.
Seems like another case of evaluating costing more than providing what is needed?So tragic

SoAlone

May 19, 2016
Devon
Hi everyone, I'm Lima and I'm caring for my friend Maria who has had variant PCA for 10 years. She is now in a care home and the care leaves a lot to be desired . . . . She is profoundly depressed and not allowed to go out at all . . . . :(

Hi Lima,

Thank you for your post. I had a bad experience with a home for my OH, and I can only say, unfortunately, we have to fight again and again in these situations. OH seems settled in this new place, and although it isn't perfect, no Care Home can provide the love and care we would at home if we could, he is clean cared for properly and as content as a PWD can ever be.